Question Pc won't boot when occupying PCI x16 slot

Blockfan888

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
So, the other day i noticed that my pc took a bit longer than normal to fully boot and get into Windows. The pc seemed fine afterwards and everything run as normal without any issue until it suddenly shut off and woulnd't even attempt to boot ( The fans wouldn't even spin).

There wasn't any pop or noise when it happened and i can't find any burnt traces or damage marks on any component so i doubt it was an electrical short.

After troubleshooting for sometime and managing to make it boot, i've gathered the issues i found:
  • The Pc will only boot if no GPU is inserted and the RAM is changed around (it will only boot if you change the order of the sticks after shutting it off).
  • If i install my GTX 980 ti ( the GPU which was in it when it first shut off) the pc will refuse to start the boot secuence altoghether
  • If i install another different GPU (i've tried a GTX 960 and a RTX 2070 super) it will turn on but nor post or boot.
I fear that it might be a power supply issue but the pc functions normally when it manages to boot. I also don't have another power supply at hand so i can`t test that at the moment.

Does anyone have any idea of what could have gone wrong? I'm really at a loss here.

Pc specs:
  • Intel Core i7- 7600K
  • 16gb HyperX Fury 2400 DDR4
  • Gigabyte G1 GTX 980 Ti
  • Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
  • Corsair Cx750m 750w

ASK THE COMMUNITY