Question PC won't Boot when using GPU

Jun 10, 2022
I'm attempting to help my friend currently stationed overseas with his new pre-built gaming pc from NZXT.
Issue: PC won't bootup when using the GPU (and HDMI connected to GPU). It will boot up and function with onboard graphics(HDMI connected to motherboard). After making changes in bios, we were able to bootup using the onboard graphics and having the GPU connected. Device manager recognizes the 3070ti but has the triangle with"!" next to it. Any ideas as to how to resolve it not being able to bootup when using the GPU would be greatly appreciated. I've been video chatting with him walking him through some troubleshooting but I can't make sense of this

What we have attempted. (but no luck in getting it to bootup with GPU as the primary graphics)
  1. Tried all HDMI slots on the GPU.
  2. Updated the Bios
  3. installing GPU drivers( weird error - clears the "!" from device manager but GeForce still says theirs an update. When you restart the "!" returns)
  4. double checked wiring to PSU (connected to 2 separate slots on the PSU)
  5. Also install recommended drivers for MB manufacturers site.
  6. Uninstall GeForce & reinstalled ( attempting to clear repeated update is ready for download).

Only ideas I have left
  1. Test the GPU in another pc once he is able too.
  2. Have him use DDU to uninstall the Nvidia Drivers and use a fresh install.

Build (he picked his own parts)
OS - Windows 11
CPU - i9-12900k 16 core 3.2 GHZ
MB- Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4
GPU- Nvidia RTX 3070 Ti EVGA FTW3 Ultra LHR
Storage- Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250gb & Seagate 1TB HDD
Ram- T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 3200MHZ 32 GB(2x16)
PSU- NZXT C850 850W Gold
CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X73
..... and rgb fans, rgb fan controller, internal USB-Hub(gen3)

Are you getting a POST when the card is connected? If not, then there could be a problem with the card, or the slot. If you are getting a POST, then it could be a driver conflict or some settings issue. By default, Display adapter should be set to Auto in BIOS. Try to change that manually to the card, if you are getting the option. Other than that, trying on another PC and DDU are your best options.

Jun 10, 2022
Update-
So no luck as of yet had him change the pcie to gen 3 (no changes in state). He currently waiting till his friend is back in the area to test the gpu on his pc. I'll update once we resolve it or get more info.

Additional info-
The GPU is plugged in on the PCIe 5.0 x16 SMD Slot
The pc will only POST if the GPU isn't primary for display.
The MB lights indicate an issue with the GPU. (But my gut is saying the MB is the problem after reading through the reddit post).

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022
Ok so we had a little change ill go in details below but pc was able to boot using optimized default setting for the first time (but using the integrated graphics).

After reinstalling windows 11 ( 1 monitor to mb 1 to GPU.
-pc booted normally with optimized default bios(to onboard graphics)
-had him shut down and only connect to GPU
-Mouse & keyboard lit up, fans on GPU were spinning but GPU didn't light up. And no display.( previously peripherals didn't light up when using GPU for display)

Attempted to install nvidia drivers but(using board graphics)
  1. Gpu not showing in device manager
  2. Nvidia driver installer says "Not compatible with this version of Windows".(double check it's the correct installer & been trying fixes from youtube to make gpu visible again)
  3. Windows is upto date no optional downloads for nvidia drivers

Ok so we had a little change ill go in details below but pc was able to boot using optimized default setting for the first time (but using the integrated graphics).

After reinstalling windows 11 ( 1 monitor to mb 1 to GPU.
-pc booted normally with optimized default bios(to onboard graphics)
-had him shut down and only connect to GPU
-Mouse & keyboard lit up, fans on GPU were spinning but GPU didn't light up. And no display.( previously peripherals didn't light up when using GPU for display)

Attempted to install nvidia drivers but(using board graphics)
  1. Gpu not showing in device manager
  2. Nvidia driver installer says "Not compatible with this version of Windows".(double check it's the correct installer & been trying fixes from youtube to make gpu visible again)
  3. Windows is upto date no optional downloads for nvidia drivers
I would try a couple of things here.
First, I would change the PCIe slot to one of the secondary ones and see if we can get a display from there initially.
Second, try Windows 10 maybe and see if that works.

TRENDING THREADS