Question PC won't boot with 1333 or 1600mhz RAM, boots fine with 1066mhz

Rohan Tej

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2013
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I upgraded my GPU a month ago, worked fine until I restated my PC. I haven't been able to boot my PC again. Keeps boot looping. Nothing on system speaker. Tried multiple PSUs. Tried to boot with just CPU, RAM, and PSU plugged in, still no POST.

I tried my best to diagnose the issue but to no avail. Took it to a local technician, told me I had a burnt RAM slot and my RAM isn't working anymore, his claim. He "fixed" it and none of my working RAMs could boot the PC. I have 4 sticks, all of them work without question (tested in my dad's PC). Maybe I've been ripped off, idk. He said used a 1066mhz ram and it booted fine. But my 1333 and 1600mhz sticks don't boot. He tried to explain the issue to me, used the word "FSB" somewhere, but to be honest I don't know enough about the nitty-gritty to understand what he said. I've tried every single permutation of RAM in the slot, no good.

Specs:
i5 2500k
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
2x2GB 1333mhz, 1x4GB 1333mhz, and 1x4GB 1600mhz (I have been running the two 4GB sticks for the past 4 years, still using them with an Athlon X2 270)

Could it just be a bios issue? If so, if I buy a 1066mhz RAM and update my bios, perhaps I can get back to my 8gb configuration? A 2GB 1066mhz is inexpensive, but I wanted to make sure it can fix the issue because either way, I'll never use that RAM again but if it fixes it, the money isn't wasted.

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I upgraded my GPU a month ago, worked fine until I restated my PC. I haven't been able to boot my PC again. Keeps boot looping. Nothing on system speaker. Tried multiple PSUs. Tried to boot with just CPU, RAM, and PSU plugged in, still no POST.

I tried my best to diagnose the issue but to no avail. Took it to a local technician, told me I had a burnt RAM slot and my RAM isn't working anymore, his claim. He "fixed" it and none of my working RAMs could boot the PC. I have 4 sticks, all of them work without question (tested in my dad's PC). Maybe I've been ripped off, idk. He said used a 1066mhz ram and it booted fine. But my 1333 and 1600mhz sticks don't boot. He tried to explain the issue to me, used the word "FSB" somewhere, but to be honest I don't know enough about the nitty-gritty to understand what he said. I've tried every single permutation of RAM in the slot, no good.

Specs:
i5 2500k
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
2x2GB 1333mhz, 1x4GB 1333mhz, and 1x4GB 1600mhz (I have been running the two 4GB sticks for the past 4 years, still using them with an Athlon X2 270)

Could it just be a bios issue? If so, if I buy a 1066mhz RAM and update my bios, perhaps I can get back to my 8gb configuration? A 2GB 1066mhz is inexpensive, but I wanted to make sure it can fix the issue because either way, I'll never use that RAM again but if it fixes it, the money isn't wasted.
Did you do a CMOS reset (disconnect from electricity, take out the cell battery from motherboard - wait 15 min, replace battery) and try to boot with a SINGLE RAM stick

Rohan Tej

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2013
Did you do a CMOS reset (disconnect from electricity, take out the cell battery from motherboard - wait 15 min, replace battery) and try to boot with a SINGLE RAM stick
Yes, I've had the CMOS battery out for a day or two. And I've tried using all four of the ram sticks individually in all four ram slots.