Question PC won't boot with 2 RAM sticks

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
I there.
I friend of mine built himself a pc with very simple specs and things were working fine while he was using a DRR3 HyperX 8 gb stick. He bought another stick similar to that one but when both sticks are connected to the mother board, the bloody thing doesn't start.
We updated the BIOS, installed windows 10 all over again and things are working fine, as long as there's only one memory connected to the mother board.
Does anyone know if something can be done?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
List complete specs and which ram slots are used.

Mixing ram is never guaranteed but it may help if the correct slots are used and possibly increasing dram voltage, loosening primary ram timings in the bios. Switching ram around sometimes works too.

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Thanks for your reply.

The specs are:
Gigabyte H110M H ddr3 (which have only two slots for RAM) https://ibb.co/TTv33RC
Intel Pentium g4560
Asus GTX 1050 ti
HyperX 1x8 1600 mhz (model: HX316C10FW/8) https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX316C10FW_8.pdf
Thermaltake 500W plus white series

As can be seen above it's a very simple setup and as I said before, the bios is up to date, both sticks of ram have been tested but they only work alone. When they're both connected to the motherboard, it never starts.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, mixing can be a bi** sometimes. Is why ram are sold in kits.

Try manually set ram parameters, a mixture between voltage and timings with one stick. First try default timings with dram voltage, start at 1.55v and work your way up slowly, max 1.65v. Save and then try the two sticks together.

If no go, try upping the four primary timing values in bios to either;
CL 11 11 11 28, CL 12 11 11 28, CL 12 12 12 28.

And a Command rate of 2.

Lowering ram speed a bit may help too.

Last edited:

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Yeah, mixing can be a bi** sometimes. Is why ram are sold in kits.

Try manually set ram parameters, a mixture between voltage and timings with one stick. First try default timings with dram voltage, start at 1.55v and work your way up slowly, max 1.65v. Save and then try the two sticks together.

If no go, try upping the four primary timing values in bios to either;
CL 11 11 11 28, CL 12 11 11 28, CL 12 12 12 28.

And a Command rate of 2.

Lowering ram speed a bit may help too.

Thanks for your input! I'll try that.
I will send feedback later.