Question PC wont boot with 2 X Gskill F42666C19S-8GIS in B460M-HDV

mpalzz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2016
CPU: Intel i5 10400F
CPU Cooler: Stock
RAM: 16GB DDR4 (GSkill F42666C19S-8GIS X 2)
Motherboard: Asrock B460M-HDV
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Ti
Storage: 120GB HP SSD+ 1TB Seagate HDD

I bought new components about a month ago. In the beginig the PC ran without any problem. But recently, I started getting 'No input signal' issue after powering up the PC. After basic troubleshooting and resetting CMOS, the issue went away, but occurred quite frequently after that.

After some more troubleshooting, it became clear that 'No input signal' issue on starup occurred only when two ram sticks were equipped in the slots. I have tested ram sticks individually in both the ram slots. Both slots are working fine with either of the ram sticks. Windows boot with either of the ram sticks equipped in any one the ram slots. Its just the dual channel ram config that is giving me hard time when using these GSkill sticks.

I tried using a pair of Corsair 8GB 3200MHz sticks, using which the pc booted absolutely fine.

CPU: Intel i5 10400F
CPU Cooler: Stock
RAM: 16GB DDR4 (GSkill F42666C19S-8GIS X 2)
Motherboard: Asrock B460M-HDV
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Ti
Storage: 120GB HP SSD+ 1TB Seagate HDD

I bought new components about a month ago. In the beginig the PC ran without any problem. But recently, I started getting 'No input signal' issue after powering up the PC. After basic troubleshooting and resetting CMOS, the issue went away, but occurred quite frequently after that.

After some more troubleshooting, it became clear that 'No input signal' issue on starup occurred only when two ram sticks were equipped in the slots. I have tested ram sticks individually in both the ram slots. Both slots are working fine with either of the ram sticks. Windows boot with either of the ram sticks equipped in any one the ram slots. Its just the dual channel ram config that is giving me hard time when using these GSkill sticks.

I tried using a pair of Corsair 8GB 3200MHz sticks, using which the pc booted absolutely fine.
Latest bios?

Are these gskill sticks a kit of 2 sticks or 2 separate sticks you bought?

You have two disparate sticks of ram.
Ram must be matched and the only way to insure this is to buy a single 2 x 8gb kit.
Most of the time, sticks are sufficiently well matched to run.
My only suggestion other than buying a new kit is to see if you can't increase the ram voltage in the bios up from the default 1.2v
With just one stick installed set the voltage a bit higher, say 1.25v and then install the other stick. You are probably ok up to 1.4v. if need be.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Might also need to give the VCCIO and/or VCCSA a bump too, those deal with the memory controller in the cpu which might need a little help getting 2 different ram sticks to co-operate.

You get 3 and only 3 results when mixing ram. It works, it works with adjustments, it doesn't work. That's it. It seems you fall into catagory #2 with your gskill, works with adjustments, probably, hopefully. Means you may have gotten lucky, but if the adjustment doesn't work, you are in catagory #3, Doesn't Work. No ifs, ands or butts.

That'll leave you with 2 choices. Buy new ram (in a single 2x8Gb kit) or use the Corsair.

Last edited: