Question PC won't boot with 3200mhz XMP

infernalsusan

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
I just got my new G.Skill Ripjwas 3200mhz 16bg ram kit Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB, and I tried turning on the XMP profile because I knew it wouldn't run at 3200 right away, but as soon as I saved the changes and exited the BIOS, my PC would fail to post around 3 times or so, and then finally would turn on, but with the ram running at 2133mhz, and not 3200mhz which I selected with XMP. I turn off XMP and its fine, but I bought this ram so I could use it at 3200mhz, not 2133!
My motherboard is ASRock AB350 Pro4 AM4 AMD B350, and my CPU is a Ryzen 5 2600
I don't think there should be any compatibility issues, but could someone please help me out? Thanks!

Hi infernalsusan :)

3200MHz frequency is beyond the JDEC standard, so they are OC RAM and therefore your system would default to a lower frequency and XMP profile would not work.
You can attain their rated frequency of 3200MHz however this will involve a manual config of your Primary timings and voltage in Bios. You can obtain the SPD of your RAM within CPUz in the memory and SPD tabs. write these values down and manually enter them in Bios. You should also check your DRAM_Voltage and adjust accordingly.

Reactions: bassrocket

bassrocket

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
Hi infernalsusan :)

3200MHz frequency is beyond the JDEC standard, so they are OC RAM and therefore your system would default to a lower frequency and XMP profile would not work.
You can attain their rated frequency of 3200MHz however this will involve a manual config of your Primary timings and voltage in Bios. You can obtain the SPD of your RAM within CPUz in the memory and SPD tabs. write these values down and manually enter them in Bios. You should also check your DRAM_Voltage and adjust accordingly.
Hi, I'm having the exact same issue with my DDR4 3200 ram. Did you ever get it running at 3200?
Thanks!