Question PC won't boot with GPU fitted.

Aug 10, 2020
I am after some pointers if anyone is able to help. It has been many years since I last ventured inside a PC and I am struggling a bit. Last time I was inside one memory was counted in MB and whilst they look the same the tech has moved on considerably :)

I have a Dell Vostro 260 and want to be able to run 2 HD displays on it so I have picked up a used Asus R7250-1GD5 graphics card for it. I plugged it in and the system won't boot at all, fans spin but it doesn't even show the dell splash screen with bios/start up options.

After hitting google (most of the advice was on here) I have upgraded the PSU from the 300 standard to a 550 (overkill I know but it was cheaper than the 450 for some reason), I have cleaned and checked the card is seating correctly (repeatedly), I have also updated the bios as far as it will go. It is currently on A10, there is an update from this year but that is A08 and won't install, I am getting an error, signature SFX mismatch, when I try and I believe this is because it is an older bios than the A10. The A08 descriptor states reduces fan noise so I am assuming it isn't important.

Any idea where to go next, I am thinking it must be a dead card or some other compatibility issue. Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Tim