[SOLVED] Pc won't boot with Gpu plugged in

Eduard_17

Reputable
Apr 22, 2017
So yesterday I bought a broken Gtx 960 2Gb for €5 euro. The owner told me that one day the pc didn't want to boot. Once he unplugged the gpu, the pc booted using the igpu perfectly. So he replaced the 960 with a new gpu.
Taking the gpu to my place, I took the card apart and didn't notice any damage. So I pulled up my multimeter and, figured that the most left bottom capacitor didn't have any resistance while every other did.(pic: https://www.google.com/search?q=gtx...biw=412&bih=783&dpr=2.63#imgrc=_Qi8OMOceZj6NM)
Also when i boot the pc with the psu cables unplugged i get a message on the screen saying i need to plug in the psu cables and the gpu core gets pretty warm.

Solution
I presume this is just a "personal best" kinda thing to see if it can be fixed, right? Otherwise, you may be on a fruitless search for success. The possibly blown cap may have been from something else failing. power reg circuit for example.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I presume this is just a "personal best" kinda thing to see if it can be fixed, right? Otherwise, you may be on a fruitless search for success. The possibly blown cap may have been from something else failing. power reg circuit for example.

Solution

Eduard_17

Reputable
Apr 22, 2017
Because the gtx960 died, I don't know why you still buy and use it. Get the new GPU.
It only costed me €5, not more than a sandwich. I've seen alot of people bringing back dead gpu's and what no to life, and wanted try it myself. It's not like I'm going to use it, I have a gtx 1080 ti. Just something I wanted to try.

Eduard_17

Reputable
Apr 22, 2017
Yes, I just bought to learn more about it. If it won't get fixed it's not big problem since i can use those as spare parts.