PC won't boot with GPU power plugged in

Jun 27, 2018
I recently replaced my old GPU with a radeon RX 580. I had no issue installing it and had it working. I did have to replace my power buttons because a wire had become disconnected. I was running a game when and left the room i come back to an off pc and couldnt power up because the button. I don't know why it powered off unless it was the wire to the button disconnecting. I had to remove the gpu to plug up my new power button and led. I reseated the GPU after making sure the button worked. I tried to power on but it barely lit up and the fan twitched. When I power on without the GPU wired in it it boots fine. When I power down and plug the GPU back in it not only won't power on but when I disconnect it it won't power on either. I have to replug the actual psu power cord to get it to even turn back on. I think its my PSU, that its trying to draw to much power but I am not sure. If it's the GPU its still under warranty.

Specs
Windows 10
Intel i7 p6700
Radeon RX 580 8gb gddr5
8gb ddr4 memory
500w PSU
Acer model A73-714A-UR11

Update
It's the GPU tested it on another mobo, no power on, must be the gpu

Solution

Not totally relevant. I think there is a chance the GPU is broken, hence I want you to try it in another system.

john the swift

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Hi there, Regards the power supply replacement if you need to in the end, research all your parts power requirements and get a power supply a bit above that to give yourself some leeway. also remember some power supplies are better then others, you get what you pay for with power supplies. (make sure to include your HDDs, motherboard, cpu, gpu, optical drives and any other parts you have installed that draw power)

Corsair and Thermaltake are good, make sure whatever you get has a bronze 80 + rating minimum. ( and search reviews )
(some power supplies are not powerful enough to actually run what they advertise. Several lower end PSU manufacturers have faults when it comes to high end graphics cards pulling the power they require and the PSU shuts off or overloads and your PC just turns off anytime it pulls that load)

750w-850w should give you room for any additions to your PC like new Hard drives etc. if you only require say 600-650w

----Does the PC still work with the old GPU plugged in? or is there still an issue? ( Would at least let you use it till you can replace the PSU if you need to aswell )
-edit-
----Make and model of PSU?
----Do you have another PC to test the GPU/PSU other components in?
----Have you been having any overheating issues?

Like rogue said below there is alot of things that can cause a pc to fail to boot, GPU could be faulty and need to RMA (return and replace/refund) it.
Was just answering the PSU question and asking for more info before going into detail >.>
-edit-

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
How about before telling the guy to go spend $100 we find out what is the brand and model of the PSU?

Do you have another system you can test the GPU in?

Even an underpowered PSU would boot the system with that GPU in it. There are a few hardware failures that could cause this, one of which is the GPU itself.

Jun 27, 2018
I tried a different PSU, still won't power up with the GPU 8 pin plugged in my only other PC is fairly old, I will try it in that one to see. The red light comes on , on the GPU so it must be getting some kind of power or signal through the mobo on its own when I power on with it unplugged. Idk if that's relevant just something I observed.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Not totally relevant. I think there is a chance the GPU is broken, hence I want you to try it in another system.

Solution