PC won't boot with peripherals plugged in.

Boggan

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
PC will boot fine with only the PSU connected to the mobo, fans, gpu with a bootable thumbdrive in usb port. When I plug in any peripheral like a SSD, HDD, or DVD-RW drive it won't start and the fans won't even spin when I press the power button. I've even tried plugging in the peripherals without connecting the sata cable to the mobo. I assume this is a PSU problem but I'm just looking for confirmation before I go through the nightmare of dealing with Seasonic.

PSU is a 2 month old Seasonic X-850. Thanks

Solution

I just wanted to see if it would load up a Windows recovery drive. USB 2. If I don't put a bootable drive in it will just say "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" because I can't turn on the computer with any HDD or SSD plugged in.

Boggan

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015

I just wanted to see if it would load up a Windows recovery drive. USB 2. If I don't put a bootable drive in it will just say "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" because I can't turn on the computer with any HDD or SSD plugged in.

Solution

Marty01

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
Are those devices connected through usb hub?

Did you try connecting one device at a time and see if it works with just one then two devices?

Wait, you didn't connect usb ports to the mobo....? How could that make any difference if those devices are not connected to mobo?

Boggan

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015

No they are connected with sata. Yes, I tried one device at a time, all devices, one device without sata connected, 4 devices tested in total, one brand new out of the box. Same result with all of them.