PC Won't boot (With Video)

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Right so I thought I would throw the video in there just maybe to clear somethings up and I don't have thing installed upside down and so forth. I have no idea what the problem is and I have not overclocked anything to that can't be the problem, and help right now is much needed lol.

Cheers People ;)

Best Regard Cain.

Link to the video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUQyLnYdMjs audio is missing but still i think you can see the problem.

Hi :)

In case you didnt notice this is a text forum...for people like me (Computer pros) if you cannot be bothered to type it..i wont bother to waste my time watching a video which wont have any information like machine specs etc...

All the best Brett :)

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

What a pointless message, take a few minutes to watch the video. Machine specs are irrelevant. Not sure why I'm bothering to reply back to a useless post.

:sleep:

namelessmuffin

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
All hail self-proclaimed computer pro Brett, he's pretty much solved the problem.
/sarcasm

Can you post a list of system specs as well as a description of the video? I can't watch it at work. What were you doing before the system stopped being able to boot? Has anything changed in regards to your hardware or software configuration? Can you get to POST?

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

...But if your pro then looking at the video should tell you the problem...right...okay

all the best Cain :)

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Cheers for the decent reply,

The problem occurs when booting up all the fans spin up and so forth looks like it might post but nothing comes up on the display. Now it all powers up correctly such and lights, and led's. Just no picture. I have moved the GPU from the first slot to second to see if that fixes the problem but it does not. The video will show you exactly what happens because it's hard to explain.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
Noctua NH D14
ASUS M4N75TD
8GB RAM
Corsair 750w PSU
GTX 460 Superclocked.

Cheers for any help you may provide.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Thats not possible, I don't have another system just lying around. I will try and boot with only one stick of ram hang about.

namelessmuffin

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Sounds like the system boots up okay, has the number of BIOS beeps changed? It may be a faulty GPU or that the PSU is not delivering enough power to all of your components. I'd try booting with onboard graphics. :)

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Motherboard does not have onboard graphics, not beeps not nothing. However this may just be my ears but I do believe I heard so electrical crackling (The sound if you move the power cable around the your tv that weird noise) Well I heard that coming from the wall when I was close. Maybe the PSU?

As I mentioned in the MOBO section, "Breadboard with the stock HSF".

If you don't have another GPU then try simply pulling the GPU and observe the boot behavior.

I doubt the Corsair Professional Series HX750 is the problem unless it's damaged from brown/black outs or bad voltage spike in your area.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Why do I need to use the stock heatsink? Do you think the NH D14 is bad?

Often an improperly installed e.g. Metal Backplate/Standoff <=> MOBO (HSF) can cause a short/grounding short then you get all sorts of oddball behavior. You have a simple system and it's less time to Breadboard than it is to mess around with other 'guesses.'

Q - What about my Q above, "simply pulling the GPU and observe the boot behavior."? What's the behavior?

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Seems the same, i cant see anything because motherboard does not have onboard GPU

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

I forgot to mention around 2 months ago the problem was happening when I put the PC into sleep mode, all fans would spin up after it comes out of sleep but no image would appear.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

I don't know where the stock heatsink is lol.

Breadboarding is removing, RAM, GPU, HDD, Optical bays correct? But remember my motherboard does not have a onboard GPU

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

The problem happened the second I build the PC one year ago but it only happened maybe once every 6 weeks so I forgot about it. It then started to occur more often around july to about once every 2 weeks, then in November it would not come out of it's sleep state. Then here we are not boot or post at all.

Breadboarding is to reduce the PC down to its' minimum working configuration (Post/Boot): MOBO on a 'paper box', 1 stick of RAM, PSU, {GPU}, stock HSF - boot. The start adding stuff or if needed swap (1) stick for another; see the manual for what DIMM slot to use.

All too often I see:
Screw -> Metal backplate || MOBO || Standoff | etc
Best:
Screw -> Metal backplate | Plastic washer || MOBO || Plastic washer | Standoff | etc
<or>
Screw -> Plastic backplate || MOBO || Plastic washer | Standoff | etc

Not to mention too much or too little pressure installing the HSF.

While I appreciate aftermarket HSF manuals I know better. Also, you could have an I/O shield short or a standoff short or simply a 'bad' component.

When I install a MOBO I use plastic washers between the Case | Standoff | Plastic washer || MOBO | <- Screw held in position with a dab of silicone. It works and I never have grounding/shorting issues. The Plastic washer is very thin.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Going to do this bread boarding method. Going to looks for the stock heatsink however I have moved 2 times since the PC was built and frankly it could be anywhere, what surface should I but the motherboard on. Some paper lol?

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Just found the problem then if you say it causes cracks... it was been moved around and knocked around a little. Are these cracked see-able with the naked eye?

No, not really. You'd have to bend <or> use dye on the MOBO -- neither of which I recommend. I had one post where the OP pressed too hard inserting the RAM and pooched their MOBO in the process.

If the MOBO is still under warranty, ASUS is typically 3 years, RMA the MOBO with ASUS.

TRENDING THREADS