PC won't boot

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
I'm surprised I don't see a forum for 'computer help'. So I'm trying to pick the best one.

Configuration: ZSRock Z97 Extreme, Intel i7-4790k, Windows 10 on boot SSD, HD..

Background: homebuilt PC had a history of crashing, until finally the graphics card and MB were replaced by warranty.

I knew the MB still had an issue because it wouldn't boot long but if the graphics card were moved to the second-best slot, it has run fine for months.

Since it would be a hassle and cost to replace the MB a second time, I just left it like that. (ASRock did not respond to a question whether that would cause any problems).

Current issue: a couple times, including last night, the PC has stopped recognizing the hard drive. A restart has fixed it.

But last night, the restart just led to the Windows load screen and stuck in spinning dots.

I tried a few times; sometimes it adds the message 'preparing automatic diagnostics'.

I have not performed further diagnostics yet such as finding my Windows 10 USB install drive to try to boot from/repair from or seeing if it will boot with the graphics card removed.

I'd be interested both in diagnostic suggestions to confirm the cause, and any comments on a plan to get a third motherboard and have that installed (hating the expense of all this).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
"Systems" is probably what you were looking for.

Regardless, your crashes over time (related to the PCIe slot) would likely either be a defective motherboard or bent CPU socket pins.

Not detecting your HDD, followed by attempted repairs may well suggest a failing drive(s) or controller on the motherboard.

Booting from a Windows 10 USB to 'force' the repair would be a good place to start. Then, backup data (incase the drives are failing).

I would suggest reseating the CPU initially, and testing the primary x16 slot.

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006

To be clear, the crashes were before the motherboard replacement. It hasn't been crashing since then.

I think I know the primary x16 slot is bad, because I had to put the GPU in the secondary slot to get the system running.

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
There's an update: I took the SSD out and put it on another older PC that works, and it booted and my files are ok. That tells me it's not the SSD, making it closer to confirming it's the MB.

TRENDING THREADS