[SOLVED] PC Won't Boot

robbrechter

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
My Build:
Seasonic FOCUS series SSR-550FM 550W 80 + Gold Power Supply, Semi-Modular, ATX12V/EPS12V, Compact 140 mm
ASRock B450M PRO4 AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI Micro ATX AMD MotherboardAMD RYZEN 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz (3.9 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 250GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Assembled computer and it powered on. LEDs lit, fans spinning, SATA hard drives spinning. But black screen, no post, no beeps.

I breadboxed with only the motherboard and CPU. When I turned it on, the board got power and the fans started spinning, but after 30 seconds, it clicked off and then back on again. Rinse and repeat.

I added a RAM stick and boot. Then the fans spin up for a couple seconds and then nothing. Spin up, nothing. Again, rinse and repeat.

I tried to unseat my CPU and re-seat it. Now I can't even short the pins to turn the motherboard on.

I'm at my wit's end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I don't see a graphics card listed in your build. The r5 2600 does not have integrated graphics, so that's why you'd have a black screen.

But, a basic POST boot test with just the CPU, Motherboard, and PSU only should work.
Are you saying your computer is boot looping when you POST?
Your motherboard may not be working properly. Out of the 3 computers I've built, I had to RMA 2 of the motherboards when I first received them.

jtabb1256

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
I don't see a graphics card listed in your build. The r5 2600 does not have integrated graphics, so that's why you'd have a black screen.

But, a basic POST boot test with just the CPU, Motherboard, and PSU only should work.
Are you saying your computer is boot looping when you POST?
Your motherboard may not be working properly. Out of the 3 computers I've built, I had to RMA 2 of the motherboards when I first received them.

Solution

robbrechter

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
My GPU is arriving tomorrow and I was trying to get a head start on the build.

It was only boot looping when the RAM was out. When it was in the case, it was running but black screen. If the motherboard doesn't actually beep, then maybe it was actually working?

Either way, I can't even get it to turn on while breadboxed.

jtabb1256

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

So it stayed on when it had RAM in it? But now, you can't get it to stay on?
If it just gives a black screen with all fans and lights running normally, then that's good.

Most motherboards don't come with a speaker anymore. Sometimes if you hook up normal speakers to the audio jack, it will play an error beep through that. Sometimes, you have to look for certain small LEDs on the motherboard that indicate different errors.

jtabb1256

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

Sound like something isn't getting power.
Have you unplugged and replugged your 24-pin ATX cable and your CPU power cable on your motherboard?
If it worked with RAM before, then try it with the RAM in again.

jtabb1256

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

If you've been staring at this problem for a few hours now, you may just be tired and might be missing something obvious.
I'd say try again when you have a fresh brain.
Hopefully it is something obvious, and not a bad PSU or Motherboard. :)

robbrechter

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
You're probably right. However, I did just plug in the PSU from my other computer, which I know works and it still didn't boot. So I think I've narrowed it down barring some idiotic mistake I'm not seeing.

Update: tested this PSU with old computer and it booted up just fine. So given the fact that I can't get the new motherboard to power on, regardless of PSU, I think it's the motherboard and not CPU. Also definitely not PSU. Looks like it's probably RMA time.

TRENDING THREADS