Question Pc won't boot

Jun 12, 2019
I tried turning on my pc and nothing happened.Not a startup logo no windows logo no nothing. The motherboard’s green light stays on, all the fans work, I hear a snigle beep as i turn it on but nothing shows on the display. I’ve tried using another display and nothing happens, tried different cable - same story! I’ve also tried the paperclip test for the psu and it worked fine.Videocard fan works. Please help.

jason201

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
FYI, things aren't always as they seem, and it could still be your PSU (just because it powers up, it doesn't mean it's in fully working condition), if you have a spare PSU (or another computer to take one from for testing) then I'd suggest you give it a go. But apart from that, other possible reasons include improper BIOS settings, bad RAM, or a bad video card. Try the following:

1. Reset your BIOS settings - Unplug your computer's power cord, open up the case, locate the round (CR2032) battery on the motherboard, use a small flat screwdriver to carefully remove it, then put the power cord back in, power up your computer, if you see text on the screen, then it means it worked. Then power it off again, unplug the power cord, put the battery back in the motherboard (in the same position as it was before, typically this would be with the plus sign facing the outwards), plug the power cord back in again, power it up, and modify the date/time settings from the BIOS (as well as the boot device priority if needed) as all of those would be resetted.

2. If you have multiple memory (RAM) sticks, try each of em standalone (with the other's disconnected) and power up the computer just with that one stick. It's possible one of em has gone bad.

3. If you have a dedicated video card, try physically removing it and using the integrated graphics instead.

Reactions: Plam3n
Jun 12, 2019
FYI, things aren't always as they seem, and it could still be your PSU (just because it powers up, it doesn't mean it's in fully working condition), if you have a spare PSU (or another computer to take one from for testing) then I'd suggest you give it a go. But apart from that, other possible reasons include improper BIOS settings, bad RAM, or a bad video card. Try the following:

1. Reset your BIOS settings - Unplug your computer's power cord, open up the case, locate the round (CR2032) battery on the motherboard, use a small flat screwdriver to carefully remove it, then put the power cord back in, power up your computer, if you see text on the screen, then it means it worked. Then power it off again, unplug the power cord, put the battery back in the motherboard (in the same position as it was before, typically this would be with the plus sign facing the outwards), plug the power cord back in again, power it up, and modify the date/time settings from the BIOS (as well as the boot device priority if needed) as all of those would be resetted.

2. If you have multiple memory (RAM) sticks, try each of em standalone (with the other's disconnected) and power up the computer just with that one stick. It's possible one of em has gone bad.

3. If you have a dedicated video card, try physically removing it and using the integrated graphics instead.
Tank you for the response .I tried what you said in “1” still nothing showed on the display. I have one one ram stick and i’ve tried using both sockets. Also tried “3” but still no change.

jason201

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
You're welcome. Anyhow, try removing the RAM stick and powering up.
A healthy motherboard should make a series of beeps without RAM (and if this is what happens, then it's most likely the PSU or RAM stick that's at fault), and you're gonna have to try different ones til you figure it out.

Jun 12, 2019
You're welcome. Anyhow, try removing the RAM stick and powering up.
A healthy motherboard should make a series of beeps without RAM (and if this is what happens, then it's most likely the PSU or RAM stick that's at fault), and you're gonna have to try different ones til you figure it out.
I hear just a single beep just as before i removed the ram

jason201

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
Yes no changes at all. It’s my old pc so the motherboard it is also quite old it’s an asus p5g41-m lx
Quite old indeed (from late 2009!)
Anyways I'd suggest you try resetting the BIOS in a different way (with the jumper method) as described on page 18 of your motherboard's manual:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5G41-M_LX/E4922_P5G41-M_LX-manual.zip
If this doesn't help, then I'd say the motherboard is toast (as said before, a healthy motherboard should make a series of beeps without RAM) and the fact that the beeps are the same (with and without) is not a good indication at all. You might be able to find an old, compatible motherboard on ebay, but I'd say it might be time to build a new PC! 10 years is a very long time.

Reactions: Plam3n