Aug 25, 2019
Hi, so I was playing a game, and it suddenly just froze, I turned it of with the power switch, however now it won't boot. All the lights and fans come on, and drives spin up, but it's just not displaying anything. :(

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 2600
GPU: MSI 2070 Armor
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
MB: MSI B450 Tomahawk
PSU: Seasonic Focus plus gold 650W

I've had the PC since February/march. I have taken everything out bar the CPU, 1 stick of RAM, GPU and SSD with windows, and still nothing, unfortunately I don't have a spare PSU to test, and Ryzen 2600 doesn't have graphics so I can't test without my GPU. I'm hoping it is just an issue with my PSU and not my GPU, should I just RMA the PSU? Or is there anything else I can try?

Solution
I didn't see if you tried removing your hard drives and and CD or DVD player. I've seen boot processes hang up for very long times when my HD was flaking out. I'm also believing that I'm seeing one of my current drives acting up as from time to time I see longer than expected posting and boot times.
If that doesn't work I would agree with the power supply 60% or 40% motherboard. Having replaced my motherboard last month as it wouldn't post unless I powered it on, then off and quickly back on, and that once it booted my CPU, GPU, and memory were clocking way about what they should be,and my video card blew out I had to replace it. :(

mana1111

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
Hi, so I was playing a game, and it suddenly just froze, I turned it of with the power switch, however now it won't boot. All the lights and fans come on, and drives spin up, but it's just not displaying anything. :(

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 2600
GPU: MSI 2070 Armor
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
MB: MSI B450 Tomahawk
PSU: Seasonic Focus plus gold 650W

I've had the PC since February/march. I have taken everything out bar the CPU, 1 stick of RAM, GPU and SSD with windows, and still nothing, unfortunately I don't have a spare PSU to test, and Ryzen 2600 doesn't have graphics so I can't test without my GPU. I'm hoping it is just an issue with my PSU and not my GPU, should I just RMA the PSU? Or is there anything else I can try?

MSI has EZ Debug LED that may help in detecting boot issues. try to reboot with everything connected and see the light pattern on the board for more information.

Here is a link to the manual
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK#down-manual

Aug 25, 2019

mana1111

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
Okay, so when I power on the CPU light turns on, for about 2/3 seconds, then goes away.. If there is a problem should it stay on permanently? Or is my CPU dead

The LED indicates of a problem when it turns on and stays lit until the problem is solved so I don't think there's anything wrong with your CPU. is there any light that constantly turned on while you boot?

mana1111

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
Yeah, I've tried with another monitor, and tried both HDMI and dp, unfortunately I can't test with the mb connections cause of Ryzen 2600 🤣

Did you try to clear Cmos? that's what I would do if I were you now. disconnect power and remove battery, wait for 5-10 minutes and put it back. see if that helps

Aug 25, 2019
Did you try to clear Cmos? that's what I would do if I were you now. disconnect power and remove battery, wait for 5-10 minutes and put it back. see if that helps
I've tried that as well haha, twice, it's really weird, like it seems as if everything is working. Which makes me worried that it's just the GPU as nothing is getting displayed :(

dmitche31958

Reputable
Aug 13, 2019
Does your GPU require a separate power supply? If so, besides the obvious connection try disconnecting the power, boot up and see if you get a message displaying on the monitor telling you to connect the PCI power supply. While this won't really tell you that the GPU is good or not. I'm personally curious as my GTX 970 just blew out with a very similar experience. Without the PCI power it displays the message but it won't work using the CPU/Motherboard. I tried two systems and it is fried.

Even so, you should be able to determine if the system is booting or not. Upon powering up, keep hitting the DEL key to see if the machine goes into the BIOS, Whether your see it or not. If you have left your power button set as most, after just touching the power button your PC should shut down. If you have to hold the power button for several seconds then it didn't boot into the BIOS settings.

Does your Keyboard indicate that the system is recognizing your USB devices?

Aug 25, 2019
Does your GPU require a separate power supply? If so, besides the obvious connection try disconnecting the power, boot up and see if you get a message displaying on the monitor telling you to connect the PCI power supply. While this won't really tell you that the GPU is good or not. I'm personally curious as my GTX 970 just blew out with a very similar experience. Without the PCI power it displays the message but it won't work using the CPU/Motherboard. I tried two systems and it is fried.

Even so, you should be able to determine if the system is booting or not. Upon powering up, keep hitting the DEL key to see if the machine goes into the BIOS, Whether your see it or not. If you have left your power button set as most, after just touching the power button your PC should shut down. If you have to hold the power button for several seconds then it didn't boot into the BIOS settings.

The GPU has a 6 and 8 pin power connector, do you mean disconnect both of those? I will try this in the morning, along with the BIOS thing. Also my keyboard lights up, but my mouse doesn't

Aug 25, 2019

So I've tried both these things, it never seemed to get to the bios as I still had to hold down the power button.

And taking the power connectors out of the GPU just didn't do anything, except turn of the lights on the GPU.

Aug 25, 2019
So I got a second GPU today, and it didn't make a difference, so hopefully my GPU is okay. I tried flashing the bios using the MSI bios, and it seemed to flash successfully, so I'm kinda hoping that means the MB is okay but maybe not?

dmitche31958

Reputable
Aug 13, 2019
I didn't see if you tried removing your hard drives and and CD or DVD player. I've seen boot processes hang up for very long times when my HD was flaking out. I'm also believing that I'm seeing one of my current drives acting up as from time to time I see longer than expected posting and boot times.
If that doesn't work I would agree with the power supply 60% or 40% motherboard. Having replaced my motherboard last month as it wouldn't post unless I powered it on, then off and quickly back on, and that once it booted my CPU, GPU, and memory were clocking way about what they should be,and my video card blew out I had to replace it. :(

Solution
Aug 25, 2019
Thanks for the reply, I did try removing the drives, I don't have any CD/DVD drives, I have sent the PSU of today (Was some issues getting the courier organised haha) so hopefully it will just be that :)