[SOLVED] PC won't boot

ohmsix

Prominent
Feb 11, 2020
Hello,

I have a custom built PC that has been working for months in college. I disconnected everything when I left home for spring break in March. COVID hit when I returned home so my PC was stuck at my school since March.

I just got it back today and upon reconnecting everything and plugging it into the outlet, the motherboard RGB lights turned on (which is what would normally happen). Then I pushed the power button and absolutely nothing happened.

I have tried disconnecting virtually every cable (CPU cable, 24 pin, front panel connectors, GPU) and even tried to reset the CMOS battery. The same thing happens. The motherboard RGB lights will turn on but when I press the power button, nothing will happen/it won't turn on.

I am not sure what the issue could be or how to narrow down what could be causing the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
It turns out my CPU wasn't seated properly and probably became loose when traveling. Suggest anyone else who notices problems with their PC not booting to try to go through and reinstall every component.

ohmsix

Prominent
Feb 11, 2020
Try this:
  • Disconnect the computer from mains.
  • Press power buttons (you probably won't notice anything, but this will drain out any residual voltage left in PSU).
  • Then you plug it back into mains and try to power on.
I've tried this too and still have no other response other than the motherboard lights being on when it's plugged in. I will most likely take it to a repair shop in town to see if there might something wrong with the PSU?

ohmsix

Prominent
Feb 11, 2020
It turns out my CPU wasn't seated properly and probably became loose when traveling. Suggest anyone else who notices problems with their PC not booting to try to go through and reinstall every component.

Solution