Question Pc wont boot

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
I was overclocking my memory. Gskill value ddr4 2400. I set the voltage to 1.3 and set it to a 2600mhz preset. My computer crashed and now it wont boot. My monitor just says no signal detected, after restarting it a few times I get the black screen that says "your overclock failed bios has been reset to default settings" f1 to run setup, f2 to run default values and continue, and alt + L to do something else I cant remember. I've tried all 3 settings and it still wont go to bios. I normally press f2 and set up all my bios settings again but when I press f2 it goes back to no signal detected. I clicked the clear CMOS button on my motherboard and it shut down. I turned it back on and got the same "your overclock failed" screen. I pressed f2 again and got nothing.

I have the x299 raider motherboard and it has something called "EZdebug led" which basically lights up when something isnt working, nothing is lit up so I dont think I killed my memory.

This is my first time overclocking memory, it worked with no errors on 2500mhz 1.3v but when I bumped it up to 2600 it crashed.

Start by entering Bios and use the F6 function key to bring Bios back to default. If you can't access Bios then either remove the CMOS battery when the system is shut down and press the Power button or use the Clear CMOS jumper pins on the MB.
You can try switching to your alternate Bios if Bios has been corrupted using the Multi Bios switch located bottom right of the Motherboard.

Next update your Bios to version 7A94v1G using M-Flash as per page 48 in your manual.

Once done power down the system and remove your RAM modules and just have one module in the DIMM slot C1 for testing.
Once you get into Windows obtain your SPD values from CPUz and write them down. Go into Bios and manually enter the DRAM Timing control section or If your modules have an XMP profile then select that instead.

Regarding your debug LEDs, they are for CPU. VGA, DRAM and Boot. If they all go out then all is OK.

For anything else, Please list your full system specs.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Msi x299 raider
I5 7640x
Gskill value 2400 2x4 2x8
M.2 as boot drive
Evga 1000w psu
Msi gtx 1060 6gb

I tested one stick at a time and the computer still wont boot. I've removed the battery twice, still didnt fix it. Right now I have 1 ram stick in and I have the battery sitting on my desk, somebody on youtube said leave the battery out for 10 mins so I'm trying that. I cant get anything on the monitor, just no signal. It wont show the overclock error message anymore, I cant go to bios. The EZdebug light came on for ram and cpu. I dont have any other ram I can plug in to test. At this point I'm guessing I killed my ram or maybe even my cpu. My cpu was overclocked to a stable 1.3v 4800mhz at the time. Everything appears to be working normally, I just cant get anything to show up on the monitor.

Msi x299 raider
I5 7640x
Gskill value 2400 2x4 2x8
M.2 as boot drive
Evga 1000w psu
Msi gtx 1060 6gb

I tested one stick at a time and the computer still wont boot. I've removed the battery twice, still didnt fix it. Right now I have 1 ram stick in and I have the battery sitting on my desk, somebody on youtube said leave the battery out for 10 mins so I'm trying that. I cant get anything on the monitor, just no signal. It wont show the overclock error message anymore, I cant go to bios. The EZdebug light came on for ram and cpu. I dont have any other ram I can plug in to test. At this point I'm guessing I killed my ram or maybe even my cpu. My cpu was overclocked to a stable 1.3v 4800mhz at the time. Everything appears to be working normally, I just cant get anything to show up on the monitor.
Did you try switching your Bios?
Without it there's not much you can do and the debug LEDs staying on indicates an issue.
Test your RAM in another system or run Memtest86 from a USB.
Check the cabling to your monitor and replace the CMOS battery in case it is failing.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
The led is off now other than the normal power light that stays on.

I dont think you understand what I'm dealing with here. Its showing nothing. No bios. No memory test. No other system to test my memory. And no I dont think it's the battery, this happened after overclocking memory.

The led is off now other than the normal power light that stays on.

I dont think you understand what I'm dealing with here. Its showing nothing. No bios. No memory test. No other system to test my memory. And no I dont think it's the battery, this happened after overclocking memory.
I can assure you I do understand as similar questions to this I've answered many times however you have not answered all of my questions.
Let's recap.

1. You made changes to your systems RAM in Bios and now the system won't boot.
  2. You are unable to POST (Power on self Test) and no access to Bios nor your 2nd Bios
  3. There is power to the MB cause your Trouble shooting LEDs come on briefly then go out.
  4. You know the monitor and cabling are functional yet no output from your PC.
  5. Testing DIMMs in varying slots in the MB reveals nothing.
  6. You have replaced the CMOS battery to no avail.?
  7. Flashing your bios to latest version has not helped.
  8. Comment on the points above if you feel I still have a misunderstanding.
Now you can't test your RAM modules to eliminate that possibility nor do you have spares, so take them to someone that can test them.
If they prove OK then it must be the Motherboard.

As your unable to switch Bios to determine if the original is corrupted then it would seem both Bios are bricked. ?

I recommend Benchtesting the system Out of the case if none of the above helps and at the same time check for bent pins in the Motherboard socket.
If still fruitless then RMA the Motherboard.

Last edited:

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
I cant flash the bios because my motherboard is basically bricked. I did not replace the CMOS battery but I have taken it out. I've tried all 4 ram sticks individually in all 4 slots. Yes my monitor and cable are fine. Yes this all happened after changing the ram settings in bios.

I dont see how both bios could have been corrupt. I think my ram or motherboard is somehow stuck in those overclock settings. Either way theres nothing I can do about it at this point so I submitted an RMA to msi and if that doesnt work I'll send one to gskill for the ram.

I cant flash the bios because my motherboard is basically bricked. I did not replace the CMOS battery but I have taken it out. I've tried all 4 ram sticks individually in all 4 slots. Yes my monitor and cable are fine. Yes this all happened after changing the ram settings in bios.

I dont see how both bios could have been corrupt. I think my ram or motherboard is somehow stuck in those overclock settings. Either way theres nothing I can do about it at this point so I submitted an RMA to msi and if that doesnt work I'll send one to gskill for the ram.
Look ,I don't know how old your systems CMOS battery is however it could be the cause. They are only $4 from the Supermarket approx and only meant to last 2-3 years (CR2032) Taking it out proves nothing and a common cause of what you have described. Leave nothing to chance.
Get your RAM checked before you RMA the MB as that takes longer. If the Motherboard is less than 12months old you should be able to RMA thru the vendore.

ASK THE COMMUNITY