pc won't boot ??

brew01

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I need some ideas I'm stumped. My pc (AMD Athalon 2800+, ASUS A7n8x mobo,ati radeon vid card) went into what appeared to be "standby mode" power on, monitor in suspend. I couldn't wake it up. I tried everything, changed vid card, changed monitor, changed hdd, nothing would help. I put in an old P3 533 chip and mobo(gag) that was laying around in the same case with the same ps and it worked. So now I guess it's either the mobo or chip and since I can't really test one out without the other I figure what the heck time for an upgrade.
I got an ASUS A8N-E mobo, and an AMD 64 3000+ chip and rebuilt my system. To my surprise it has the exact same symptoms.
The case and cpu fans, cd rom power up. It doesn't seem that the HD does(can't hear the initial spin up) No beeps, no monitor. I changed the PS and still nothing. Help!!

deaddawg

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
You said you tried a new PS, did you use a sufficient power supply? Make sure it is powerful enough. Also, I see no mention about trying different Ram.

:) Good luck!

brew01

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
The PS I tried has sufficient power. I never tried diff ram, but would I not get an error from my bios? The video never boots up to see an error message. It seems to fail b4 getting that far. No beeps or anything.

dourios

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Since this morning my PC have the same problem..
Can't do anything.
Did you solve the problem?
Please help!!
Thanks

Your PS will definitely need the ATX12V spec, with an additional 4 pin power connection to the mb labeled 'aux cpu', or something quite similar...; all newer p4 and Athlon mbs absolutely require it to be connected.