[SOLVED] PC won't boots with a certain graphics card, but that card works on another system

Jan 18, 2020
System 1
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
MOBO: ASUS B450M-A PRIME
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 8GBX2 3200MHZ
GRAPHICS: ASUS STRIX GTX 960
System 2
CPU: Intel i5 6500
MOBO: ASUS B150M-K
RAM: CORSAIR LPX VENGEANCE 3200MHZ
GRAPHICS: ASUS GT730

What is happening????
System 1 was functioning properly, but one time when I left it on overnight, it turned it off and it won't post.

What is definitely working:
The monitor: Tried with another computer on display port and HDMI
PSU: I bought a new PSU because i thought it was related to power issues after reading online forums. (See attempt 3 at troubleshooting)
RAM: Works on both system

Attempt 1 at troubleshooting: CMOS
-->Unplug the PSU power cable and take out the CMOS battery and reinsert it after 5 minutes while pressing the power button for 30 seconds.
=It is still the same, fan spins, fans lit up, but no signal to the monitor

Attempt 2 at troubleshooting: RAM
-->I reseated, and moved to different slots. Took out one of them, and at last replaced them with the LPX Vengeance from another system.
=It has no affect, still won't boot

Attempt 3 at troubleshooting: Graphics Card
--> I took out the 960 and put in the 730, it boots and it works normally.
=Then i thought it was the graphics card that has a problem, so I put the 960 into system 2--> But system 2 also boots and works with the 960, and it can run games normally

Attempt 4 at trouble shooting: PSU
--> The 960 works normally on system 2 but NOT on system 1, while the 730 works on system 1. Therefore I think that the PCI-E slot on the motherboard and other components like RAM are normal, the only difference now between the two system is that GT730 does not require extra power (No cables needed to connect from PSU)
--> Therefore I bought a new PSU (CM MWE GOLD 750 FULL MODULAR) and put it in system 1
-->It does not post, just like before (this is with GTX 960 and CORSAIR PRO RGB RAM)
--> I tried those attempt before, but still no post
-->When i plug the GT730 back in, it posts immediately
=No power issues?

Questions for now
-Why GTX960 works in system 2 but not in system 1?
-Both system works normally (System 1 with GT730 and system 2 with GTX960), but system 1 does not work with GTX960.
-I was about to buy a new card, 5700XT, but I am not sure about what is working and what is not, the components seems to be working fine with a certain configuration.
-I don't have another card that requires power to test whether the card is shorting the PSU, but if the 960 works on another system, I think that the 960 is normal.

Solution
Weird that the gtx 960 doesn't want to play nicely. Could see if there is a bios update for that gpu,but at least you know that a new gpu probably will work which is nice since you we're eyeballing one. ;)

Since the gtx 960 does work in another system can you at least try to sell it or just put it in that second system.
Jan 18, 2020
I am having a similar issue, however no fans or leds power on except the RGB RAM.

One thing that worked for me just very temporarily was reinstalling the bios to the latest revision with a different gpu, then switching gpus . This only worked once for me.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Well you could of course still buy that new gpu and test with it. No harm in that,if still problems could you try and rma motherboard. Guess this would be likeliest candidate for creating the problem in that case.

You did test this combo?

System 1
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
MOBO: ASUS B450M-A PRIME
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 8GBX2 3200MHZ

System 2

GRAPHICS: ASUS GT730
Only wonder if the RGB ram might give problems,doubt it,but can't hurt to test.

Jan 18, 2020
It’s a ASUS GTX 560 with 2 8pin power connector, it works normally which means the PSU and the motherboard PCI-E slot is working normally. Seems like the GTX 960 just don’t want to work on that board.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Weird that the gtx 960 doesn't want to play nicely. Could see if there is a bios update for that gpu,but at least you know that a new gpu probably will work which is nice since you we're eyeballing one. ;)

Since the gtx 960 does work in another system can you at least try to sell it or just put it in that second system.

Solution