[SOLVED] Pc wont connect to internet via ethernet cable

Apr 6, 2020
My wifi is working and when i plug in the ethernet cable into my laptop the connection is fine. The error i get on my windows network diagnostics is ethernet doesnt have have a valid ip configuration.

Solution
Since you have DHCP enabled, but not successfully getting a DHCP response, you have to look at the physical interface. Have you checked your autonegotiation ? If the port speed on your PC is not set to auto, then it might not connect.
Just because a cable "works on my laptop" is not a guarantee that it will work on your PC. Try a different cable. Try a short direct connection to the router.
Is there any in-wall cabling involved? If so, it may be bad.

kanewolf

Titan
My wifi is working and when i plug in the ethernet cable into my laptop the connection is fine. The error i get on my windows network diagnostics is ethernet doesnt have have a valid ip configuration.
Do you have the speed of the ethernet port set to auto? If not set it that way.
Do you have DHCP enabled?

Open a CMD.EXE window and run -- ipconfig /all -- post the results.

kanewolf

Titan
Since you have DHCP enabled, but not successfully getting a DHCP response, you have to look at the physical interface. Have you checked your autonegotiation ? If the port speed on your PC is not set to auto, then it might not connect.
Just because a cable "works on my laptop" is not a guarantee that it will work on your PC. Try a different cable. Try a short direct connection to the router.
Is there any in-wall cabling involved? If so, it may be bad.

Solution
Apr 6, 2020
Ive changed ethernet cables as well as checked to make sure the pc speed is set to automatic. ive tried to bridge a connection from a laptop using wifi to ethernet. ive even tried to tether my phones network to the computer nothing works only things i havent tried is a wireless connection because i dont have an adapter and everything in my area is closed due to corona virus

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS