[SOLVED] Pc won't connect to the internet

Jan 16, 2022
So i upgraded my CPU and motherboard and it won't connect to the internet via ethernet cable at all but when i connect my phone and share internet trough USB it's working, anyone know how to fix it? since the ethernet cable wont even show up internet settings.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
motherboard: asus rog strix b550 f gaming

Reactions: Mr. Smith

kanewolf

Titan
So i upgraded my CPU and motherboard and it won't connect to the internet via ethernet cable at all but when i connect my phone and share internet trough USB it's working, anyone know how to fix it? since the ethernet cable wont even show up internet settings.

It sounds like you upgraded your motherboard but didn't do a clean Windows install. If you are reusing your previous Windows install, that is probably why your ethernet isn't working.

projectfixit

Prominent
Jan 15, 2022
It sounds like you upgraded your motherboard but didn't do a clean Windows install. If you are reusing your previous Windows install, that is probably why your ethernet isn't working.
I disagree with @kanewolf
A reinstall won't help because windows will ask you to connect to a network. (Which is impossible if you don't have drivers)

You should log on to another pc, go to the motherboard manufacturer's website, and get drivers here.
Once you have the Ethernet drivers, put them on a flash drive and install them on your new motherboard

kanewolf

Titan
I disagree with @kanewolf
A reinstall won't help because windows will ask you to connect to a network. (Which is impossible if you don't have drivers)

You should log on to another pc, go to the motherboard manufacturer's website, and get drivers here.
Once you have the Ethernet drivers, put them on a flash drive and install them on your new motherboard
I definitely agree that the motherboard drivers are REQUIRED for a successful install. But reusing an existing Windows install has no guarantee of success.

projectfixit

Prominent
Jan 15, 2022
I definitely agree that the motherboard drivers are REQUIRED for a successful install. But reusing an existing Windows install has no guarantee of success.
Yes.

You will need a digital license for reactivation if you plan to keep the Install
Windows stores your Product key on the motherboard, so if you decide to switch it stuff gets a little hairy.
Leant this the hard way.

You can keep the install if you go to windows update and select all of the optional updates. (Usually, the optional ones are drivers/driver updates)

This is why Windows gives us the Device Manager app. After any change, the first thing I do is open up the Device Manager and look for devices not properly working. Then obtain and load necessary drivers; usually its the Intel Serial IO and Chipset Driver packages that are needed with a lan or wifi follow-up.

Reactions: projectfixit

USAFRet

Titan
Yes.

You will need a digital license for reactivation if you plan to keep the Install
Windows stores your Product key on the motherboard, so if you decide to switch it stuff gets a little hairy.
Leant this the hard way.

You can keep the install if you go to windows update and select all of the optional updates. (Usually, the optional ones are drivers/driver updates)
The License has nothing to do with the Operation.

Yes, you can probably transfer the license between systems.

The actual installed OS? Not so much.
And it is much more than just 'drivers'.

Jan 16, 2022
i dont know because i cleaned out the whole system before installing windows on the new stuff

Jan 16, 2022
Yeah i tried installing them while having my phone connected since that works but as soon as i start "AsusSetup" it deactivates my phone on internet connections instantly and nothing happens after that

Colif

Win 11 Master

clean install on new hardware wipes old drivers and means it won't do weird stuff.
I would do that instead of messing around this way. You might find other weird problems leaving it as is.

Yes and NO.
It depends on what type of activation you have. If your activation is linked to a Microsoft account, your license is also linked to that account and you can move the licence to a new PC. If its activation is not linked to a Microsoft account, it helps to do so before swapping hardware - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665#ID0EBD=Windows_10
If PC is made by a big OEM like Dell, you can't move the license off the hardware.

Activation has nothing to do with the problem user has, but it might become one later as the details of his (and your) activation is saved on a Microsoft server and they check activated PC occasionally to make sure all the details match. It knows what pc had at time of install, so if its on another motherboard/PC it might deactivate.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Make sure nothing is in the ethernet port on your PC (like the little grounding fingers many ATX I/O plates have). If the cable isn't making good contact, you will have these sorts of issues. Double-check that the connector is fully inserted into the port.