[SOLVED] PC won't connect to wifi or bluetooth after CPU upgrade ?

MountainDREW

Prominent
Dec 2, 2019
Hi, I recently upgraded from an i3-7350k to an i7-6700k, and while everything else works perfectly after the upgrade, I can't seem to connect to BT or wifi.

My wifi networks are shown in the networking tab, but they show fewer bars than usual, and whenever I type in the password to connect to them it says that it couldn't connect. Similarly I cannot connect to my BT controller, when I put it in pairing mode Windows doesn't see it like it did just before I did the upgrade (in fact, nothing shows up in the BT section, which is very unusual for me).

I did the standard stuff like restarting the PC, resetting network settings, turning airplane mode on and then off, starting the troubleshooter (didn't recognize anything), and I looked for every thread I could find and followed all of the suggestions there, such as resetting the BIOS to default settings, installing a brand new instance of Windows, reinstalling all of the network drivers, disabling ipv6, and one solution even asked me to fiddle with cmd, but none of them worked, the exact same issue persisted after every single one of those solutions.

Ethernet is not currently available to me, and no bluetooth really sucks, so just going cabled isn't really a viable solution for me.

I'm hoping there's some software fix I don't know about, but I'm starting to fear that I might have bumped something while switching out the CPU which screwed with the wifi.

Solution
It depends which part is damaged. If it is the antenna those can easily be replaced. If it is connector on the computer those are extremely hard to do much with. Fixing a motherboard tends to not be a cost effective thing to do. You likely could get either a pci or USB wifi card cheaper
Hard to say for sure since motherboards are very different.

If you get any signal that generally means your drivers etc are likely ok. This acts like you have a antenna issue. Check that the external antenna are connected properly. Also some computer have small wires that go between the antenna and the motherboard. These are very tiny connections so make sure they are connected properly. These wires do not exist on some motherboards, they are pretty obvious if you have them.

MountainDREW

Prominent
Dec 2, 2019
Hard to say for sure since motherboards are very different.

If you get any signal that generally means your drivers etc are likely ok. This acts like you have a antenna issue. Check that the external antenna are connected properly. Also some computer have small wires that go between the antenna and the motherboard. These are very tiny connections so make sure they are connected properly. These wires do not exist on some motherboards, they are pretty obvious if you have them.
I started looking at the antennas, and it seems like one of them has a really loose connector that's starting to even pop out a little bit, I managed to fit it as snug as I'm able to and it finally connects, but it's excruciatingly slow. I went to a speedtest website on my phone to compare the speeds, and I can't even compare them because after several minutes my desktop is struggling to "find the optimal server" when it took seconds on my phone, so I'm starting to think it's a lost cause. I can't find any wire connecting to the antennas, but I'm pretty sure the problem is the connector anyways. Any suggestions?

It depends which part is damaged. If it is the antenna those can easily be replaced. If it is connector on the computer those are extremely hard to do much with. Fixing a motherboard tends to not be a cost effective thing to do. You likely could get either a pci or USB wifi card cheaper

Solution