PC Won't Detect SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD

jkk45

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Hi guys,

Please give as much detail as possible, as I'm fairly new to this sort of thing. Don't assume that 'I know certain things'.

First of all I've just finished a major new PC upgrade.

MY NEW PC SPECS:

PROCESSOR: Intel i7 8700k
GRAPHICS CARD: GTX 1080
MOTHERBOARD: Asus Prime z370
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz DDR4
NVMe PCI-E DRIVE: WD Black WDS250G2X0C (being used to boot Windows 10 Pro 64bit)
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II 480GB
HDD #1: Samsung SpinPoint 1TB HDD (carried over from previous build)
HDD #2: WD Black 2TB HDD (carried from previous build)
PSU: XFX Core Edition 650w
OPTICAL DRIVE: Samsung DVD-RW/Blu Ray Reader
O/S: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Now everything on this is working great: installed Windows okay, and have started to repopulate with files and programs

However, the main problem is that the SSD isn't being detected. All the other drives appear absolutely fine.

I've checked Disk Management to see whether it was at the bottom in need of being formatted or in need of having a disk partion created, but its simply just not listed at all!

I made a special effort to make sure the SATA power connector was plugged in, ditto with the data connectors. But its simply not appearing!

Its really weird because prior to the upgrade it was appearing fine, through being used as an external SSD, connected via a SATA to USB 3.0 plug.

Now I did read somewhere that I might have needed to switch the SATA management mode to AHCI. By default I think my motherboard is set to RAID and then I switched it to AHCI, but then Windows 10 didn't boot at all.

Could this be something to do with power management? Its also not appearing as a SATA device on the motherboard either!

HELP ME PLEASE!

Solution
Hi, thanks for the answer.

But actually the issue was that the DVD/BLU-Ray drive had both been assigned the same drive letter. I discovered this by taking all of the SATA connections out (since W10 is loaded onto the M.2 NVME), and plugging in the SSD on its own. It finally appeared and I noticed it was assigned the letter 'D', which is the letter the DVD/BLU RAY had also been given. So I reaqssigned the SSD to the letter 'V' and then replugged in all of the other SATA devices again. The SSD then continued to appear on Disk Management etc.

So simple answer is that the SSD had been assigned a duplicate drive letter.

Nothing to do with SATA ports 5 and 6 being disabled, as I already knew this, and deliberately didn't plug anything into...

jkk45

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Hi, thanks for the answer.

But actually the issue was that the DVD/BLU-Ray drive had both been assigned the same drive letter. I discovered this by taking all of the SATA connections out (since W10 is loaded onto the M.2 NVME), and plugging in the SSD on its own. It finally appeared and I noticed it was assigned the letter 'D', which is the letter the DVD/BLU RAY had also been given. So I reaqssigned the SSD to the letter 'V' and then replugged in all of the other SATA devices again. The SSD then continued to appear on Disk Management etc.

So simple answer is that the SSD had been assigned a duplicate drive letter.

Nothing to do with SATA ports 5 and 6 being disabled, as I already knew this, and deliberately didn't plug anything into these ports when building

[strike]SO MODS PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD AS THE PROBLEM HAS BEEEN SOLVED!!!
[/strike]

Solution