Apr 9, 2020
My dad kept taking away my desktop (it's not very big), but I told him that might damage it, so he took out the RAM instead. When I got it back, the PC wouldn't display anything. We got an RMA, thinking that the RAM somehow broke, but we were disappointed when that didn't work. The next thing we tried was replacing the CPU because the motherboard CPU error light was on. This still hasn't worked and I don't know what to do. I reseated everything, fans are spinning, and motherboard light is on. Can you please help!
Specs:
GTX 1070
i5 8600k
16GB TridentZ
Corsair CX550M 550 Watt Power Supply
240GB 970 Evo
Z370M Mortar (MSI)

Solution
I have tried all the inputs that I can find and I've tried different cable such as an HDMI adapter to VGA, and I've tried the DVI one HDMI ports on both the graphic card and the motherboard. I've also tried DisplayPort to HDMI on my 1070. I am certain that I have the correct input selected on the monitor, and I've tried other monitors.
Monitor I tried was Dell p2314Ht.
Also tried asus vs248h
Don't think that it could have been the monitor anyway as my CPU seems to not be working properly. (Not heating up right)
Is the graphics card connector fine?
As i said previously i don't think your power supply is the problem unless the cables were physically damaged when the RAM was first removed from your computer.
Have you checked for...
Apr 9, 2020
Have you cleared the CMOS?
Are you certain the RAM sticks are pushed all the way down in their slots, at both ends?
Have you tried booting with only 1 stick of RAM installed?
Yes, I've done all of those steps, however, I thought that because the CPU debug light was on, the problem was with the CPU. I touched the CPU while the fan was off of the socket, to test if it was working,
and while it was warm to the touch, it was barely noticeable, and was nowhere close to the temperature it should have been. This is why I thought that the problem was the CPU. I replaced it, but that didn't fix anything. My next step is to either replace the power supply or replace the motherboard. I have taken apart and rebuilt my computer twice and I really don't know what to do. I have also:
Checked for bent CPU pins
Unplugged and replugged all things from the motherboard twice
Tried different monitor
Tried integrated graphics
I am almost certain it is a broken component, I just need to know which one. It is also suprising that my computer broke, as I've only had it for about 9 months.

Last edited:
Yes, I've done all of those steps, however, I thought that because the CPU debug light was on, the problem was with the CPU. I touched the CPU while the fan was off of the socket, to test if it was working,
and while it was warm to the touch, it was barely noticeable, and was nowhere close to the temperature it should have been. This is why I thought that the problem was the CPU. I replaced it, but that didn't fix anything. My next step is to either replace the power supply or replace the motherboard. I have taken apart and rebuilt my computer twice and I really don't know what to do. I have also:
Checked for bent CPU pins
Unplugged and replugged all things from the motherboard twice
Tried different monitor
Tried integrated graphics
I am almost certain it is a broken component, I just need to know which one. It is also suprising that my computer broke, as I've only had it for about 9 months.
Have you tried booting with no drives connected to see if you can get into the BIOS?

Apr 9, 2020
[/QUOTE]
Have you tried booting with no drives connected to see if you can get into the BIOS?
I was surprised to see a solution that I hadn't tried, but it didn't work. The CPU debug light has been on the whole time, even though replacing the CPU didn't help. Is there anything that could stop the CPU from working? For instance if there was a faulty CPU power connector from the power supply, the CPU might not get enough power to work correctly, resulting in the CPU debug light on. I don't have another desktop so I don't have any extra parts and have to buy every replacement part, so I can't afford to guess and check.

Apr 9, 2020
Did you run the PC with the CPU installed without the heatsink on it?
I had a cooler on it, of course. Once the PC stopped booting, and showed a CPU error, I decided it would be safe enough to try and start it without the fan. I kept my hand on it, with minimal pressure, in case it got hot. It only got slightly warm. I would have shut it off immediately if it had gotten too hot to be safe. I think your question was whether I ran the PC normally without a cooler which I didn't do.

Apr 9, 2020
Have you double checked all the cables from your power supply, at both ends?
I only have a semi modular power supply, but everything seems okay. the cable for the CPU looks worn but it doesn't look like anything is wrong with it. The 24 pin ATX connector looks fine also but one of the pins seems to be missing. I looked up some pictures and I'm not sure if the pin is supposed to be missing or not. I wouldn't close a picture but I don't know how to do this on this website. The graphics card connector looks absolutely fine, and so does the one for the SATA SSD I also have in my computer. However, when I was following what rocktalkrock said before, I noticed the motherboard's DVI port did not connect to the monitor the monitor simply said no DVI cable.however when I connect the DVI cable to the graphics card and usually says no signal and immediately goes into power saving mode. I don't know if this is a big deal. Could you tell me how to share a picture?

I only have a semi modular power supply, but everything seems okay. the cable for the CPU looks worn but it doesn't look like anything is wrong with it. The 24 pin ATX connector looks fine also but one of the pins seems to be missing. I looked up some pictures and I'm not sure if the pin is supposed to be missing or not. I wouldn't close a picture but I don't know how to do this on this website. The graphics card connector looks absolutely fine, and so does the one for the SATA SSD I also have in my computer. However, when I was following what rocktalkrock said before, I noticed the motherboard's DVI port did not connect to the monitor the monitor simply said no DVI cable.however when I connect the DVI cable to the graphics card and usually says no signal and immediately goes into power saving mode. I don't know if this is a big deal. Could you tell me how to share a picture?
Here is a free image hosting website. Just upload your image and post the image link in your reply.

Apr 9, 2020
Did those cables come with the power supply?
Yes they did. I'm not sure what could have caused the pins to break or if they came like that, but my computer has working has been working fine for the past 9 months. Do you think I should get another power supply as a replacement, and what what could have caused the pin to get broken off in the first place? Also, is the GPU pin broken or is it supposed to be like that? If I should get another power supply which one should which one do you recommend?

Yes they did. I'm not sure what could have caused the pins to break or if they came like that, but my computer has working has been working fine for the past 9 months. Do you think I should get another power supply as a replacement, and what what could have caused the pin to get broken off in the first place? Also, is the GPU pin broken or is it supposed to be like that? If I should get another power supply which one should which one do you recommend?
I got this image off Newegg. The 24-pin power cable from a Corsair CX550M and it's missing the same pin as yours, so i don't think your PSU is damaged. The Corsair CX550M has a good reputation as a quality power supply.

71WALv8C+jL._SL1600_.jpg

Apr 9, 2020
I got this image off Newegg. The 24-pin power cable from a Corsair CX550M and it's missing the same pin as yours, so i don't think your PSU is damaged. The Corsair CX550M has a good reputation as a quality power supply.

71WALv8C+jL._SL1600_.jpg
If my power supply is not broken, what else could be the problem? I've replaced the CPU and RAM, and I should be able to get into the bios without a boot drive. If we also assume that my power supply is fine, then the only other component that could be broken is the motherboard. The motherboard's DVI port seems to be not working, and doesn't show that it is connected. I'm not sure what this could mean. By not working, I am talking about not showing up as connected to the display. My GPU power cable also seems to have a pin broken off, not sure if that is important or not.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020
your dad took the pc off you ? did you do something wrong to make him do that ?
I would point out to him he owes you a new pc and next he wants to punish you he will find a different punishment
I guess, but I'm not going to guilt him into spending 700 dollars when I can fix it for around 100. He already found a different way to limit my time. It's not a big deal.

If my power supply is not broken, what else could be the problem? I've replaced the CPU and RAM, and I should be able to get into the bios without a boot drive. If we also assume that my power supply is fine, then the only other component that could be broken is the motherboard. The motherboard's DVI port seems to be not working, and doesn't show that it is connected. I'm not sure what this could mean. By not working, I am talking about not showing up as connected to the display. My GPU power cable also seems to have a pin broken off, not sure if that is important or not.
Are you certain you have the correct input set on your monitor? What is the name of your monitor?

Apr 9, 2020
Are you certain you have the correct input set on your monitor? What is the name of your monitor?
I have tried all the inputs that I can find and I've tried different cable such as an HDMI adapter to VGA, and I've tried the DVI one HDMI ports on both the graphic card and the motherboard. I've also tried DisplayPort to HDMI on my 1070. I am certain that I have the correct input selected on the monitor, and I've tried other monitors.
Also tried asus vs248h
Don't think that it could have been the monitor anyway as my CPU seems to not be working properly. (Not heating up right)

Also tried asus vs248h
As i said previously i don't think your power supply is the problem unless the cables were physically damaged when the RAM was first removed from your computer.
Have you checked for any dirt, lint or pet hairs in the memory slots and PCIe slots of your motherboard?

If you can't find anything, unfortunately at this point i think you need to start over. Remove the motherboard from your case and try to boot with as few parts as possible. One stick of RAM, no graphics card and no drives. At that point if you can not get into the BIOS you need to contact MSI Customer Support.

Solution
Apr 9, 2020
Have you checked for any dirt, lint or pet hairs in the memory slots and PCIe slots of your motherboard?

If you can't find anything, unfortunately at this point i think you need to start over. Remove the motherboard from your case and try to boot with as few parts as possible. One stick of RAM, no graphics card and no drives. At that point if you can not get into the BIOS you need to contact MSI Customer Support.
I will do that. Thank you for your help :)