Question PC won't even get to BIOS since adding an M.2 SATA SSD ?

sub3marathonman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
This is the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Max WiFi motherboard. I have a SATA 2TB WD hard drive attached on SATA4. It boots fine to Windows 10. Without the SATA hard drive connected it will go to BIOS.

Now I install an M.2 SATA SSD (from a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 11e) into the M.2_1 slot. It is my belief that this slot supports a SATA ssd independent of the CPU installed, but I could be wrong on that and can add the exact wording of the manual if needed.

Upon installing this ssd, the system will turn on, but it won't get to the BIOS. I've tried to push the various function keys, but nothing works. There is one small pixel lit on the screen when it is on.

This ssd might be "bad," but I don't understand why a bad ssd would prevent from even entering the BIOS. As additional information, the little ssd red light on the motherboard is on, which is also probably not a good sign.

So if I am unable to get the system on when the bad ssd is installed, is there any alternative to attempting to have the ssd recognized in a working computer? I see they have external m.2 SATA enclosures, would that possibly work?

I have never seen an ssd go completely destroyed, but then again there's a lot of things I've never seen.

This is the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Max WiFi motherboard. I have a SATA 2TB WD hard drive attached on SATA4. It boots fine to Windows 10. Without the SATA hard drive connected it will go to BIOS.

Now I install an M.2 SATA SSD (from a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 11e) into the M.2_1 slot. It is my belief that this slot supports a SATA ssd independent of the CPU installed, but I could be wrong on that and can add the exact wording of the manual if needed.

Upon installing this ssd, the system will turn on, but it won't get to the BIOS. I've tried to push the various function keys, but nothing works. There is one small pixel lit on the screen when it is on.

This ssd might be "bad," but I don't understand why a bad ssd would prevent from even entering the BIOS. As additional information, the little ssd red light on the motherboard is on, which is also probably not a good sign.

So if I am unable to get the system on when the bad ssd is installed, is there any alternative to attempting to have the ssd recognized in a working computer? I see they have external m.2 SATA enclosures, would that possibly work?

I have never seen an ssd go completely destroyed, but then again there's a lot of things I've never seen.
Does this m.2 work on any other pc?
Do you have the proper bios?
Connect it via usb see what happens.