[SOLVED] PC won't fully turn on after installing aio cooler

Jun 5, 2020
made an attempt to swap out my stock air cooler with an h75 corsair liquid cooler. On the HP omen obelisk tower, this requires removing the motherboard, swapping the bracket out with corsair's, and reinserting. During this process I also removed the gpu, the system fan, cleaned off and reapplied thermal paste, and of course unplugged everything from the motherboard.

Upon completion, I plugged her back in and powered in, and all that turns on is the leds, fans, and my keyboard leds light up. Nothing shows on the monitor.

Concerned, I went ahead and removed the liquid cooler and put back in the air cooler (thermal paste reapplied). The same issue again. I've since gone ahead and put the liquid cooler back in.

Something else also is that the system is turning on before I push the power button up top, just as soon as I plug it in and lights and fans run.

Any thoughts or troubleshooting steps? Only thing I've tried is to hold power button to shut it off, unplug, and hold power button for 15 seconds, and then plugged in with no change.

Last edited:
Solution
I would suggest doing a 'barebones' setup.
If you still have the motherboard box, take the mobo out and set it up on that. Hook up the psu, ram, cpu air cooler, and gpu - only if the cpu doesn't have an iGPU, and see if it'll boot then.
Oh, and the C drive... can't forget the C drive.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Concerned, I went ahead and removed the liquid cooler and put back in the air cooler (thermal paste reapplied).
Did it work again after you did this?

Something else also is that the system is turning on before I push the power button up top, just as soon as I plug it in and lights and fans run.
A short in the chassis circuit board - that's located beneath the power button.
Or maybe the button is stuck? Not sure here.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I would suggest doing a 'barebones' setup.
If you still have the motherboard box, take the mobo out and set it up on that. Hook up the psu, ram, cpu air cooler, and gpu - only if the cpu doesn't have an iGPU, and see if it'll boot then.
Oh, and the C drive... can't forget the C drive.

Solution