PC won't let me formate my drive(not installed with windows) to gpt

Ompatel102103

Commendable
Jul 7, 2017
I have a 4tb hard drive and it won't let me change it to gtp on command(not the drive that windows boots from) so I only had 2tb out of my 4tb drive

Solution
When Windows is installed, it sometimes puts the Boot Manager on a different physical drive if one is available at time of installation. So your PC probably needs that drive in order to boot successfully.

So don't assume your Windows drive is also the boot drive - - that's not always so. The boot drive is the one with the "active" partition on it.

In your case, the "boot" drive is the one you're trying to convert to GPT.

I don't know what to suggest for the best here -- kinda tricky. Too bad you didn't GPT the drive while it was empty when you first installed it.

May be Easus Partition Master can do the GPT conversion without nuking all the existing partitions...

Ompatel102103

Commendable
Jul 7, 2017

It is a windows 10 64 bit and i tried disk part but it says "VIRTUAL DISK ERROR:
The specified disk is not convertible. CBROMS and DVDs are examples of disk that are not converable

Ompatel102103

Commendable
Jul 7, 2017

it says "Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot,
system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume.'
even tho my boot(windows) is on my ssd

When Windows is installed, it sometimes puts the Boot Manager on a different physical drive if one is available at time of installation. So your PC probably needs that drive in order to boot successfully.

So don't assume your Windows drive is also the boot drive - - that's not always so. The boot drive is the one with the "active" partition on it.

In your case, the "boot" drive is the one you're trying to convert to GPT.

I don't know what to suggest for the best here -- kinda tricky. Too bad you didn't GPT the drive while it was empty when you first installed it.

May be Easus Partition Master can do the GPT conversion without nuking all the existing partitions:
https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/free-convert-mbr-to-gpt-without-data-loss.html

Solution

TRENDING THREADS