[SOLVED] PC won't load windows 10

Jun 26, 2021
PC won't boot into windows 10. I have tried booting into safe mode without the SSD with just the windows usb and HDD plugged in, but this results in just a black screen with "_".

The PC also sometimes doesn't recognize the SSD and says that the slot is "empty".

When the PC randomly decides to recognise the SSD it would only show a black screen with spinning dots but after a while it would turn black with just the cursor and blue loading circle next to it.

I'm thinking that the SSD could be corrupt or the motherboard is broken but I'm unsure. The PC had been working fine for around 9 months when I built it up until now.

Solution
I tried with only the usb plugged in and without the SSD and HDD, but it shows the same "Windows Boot manager" screen that I described in my previous reply.

So is it most likely the SSD that is the problem and not the motherboard itself not detecting it?

Would I need to replace the SSD if this is the case? And would I be able to recover any files on the SSD?
Put the SSD on a working computer and try. I'd suggest to take it to a hardware repair shop and letting them test it.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
This sounds like an issue with post to me, if I am understanding correctly.

You see no splash screen, no motherboards logo, just black with the blinking cursor?

Do you have any LED on mobo, or a speaker connected for codes?

System spec could be helpful.

Jun 26, 2021
PC won't boot into windows 10. I have tried booting into safe mode without the SSD with just the windows usb and HDD plugged in, but this results in just a black screen with "_".

The PC also sometimes doesn't recognize the SSD and says that the slot is "empty".

When the PC randomly decides to recognise the SSD it would only show a black screen with spinning dots but after a while it would turn black with just the cursor and blue loading circle next to it.

I'm thinking that the SSD could be corrupt or the motherboard is broken but I'm unsure. The PC had been working fine for around 9 months when I built it up until now.
This sounds like an issue with post to me, if I am understanding correctly.

You see no splash screen, no motherboards logo, just black with the blinking cursor?

Do you have any LED on mobo, or a speaker connected for codes?

System spec could be helpful.

Currently the PC boots up it only displays the motherboard logo after that it says "Reboot and select proper boot device" but that's because the SSD is being recognised.

Yes the LED on the motherboard lights up as usual.

System specs:
Motherboard - MSI b450 tomahawk max (MS-7C02)
SSD - Crucial CT500P1 SSD8 P1 500 GB
HDD - Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - Graphics Card SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 5600 XT 6G
RAM - Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 DDR4
Power supply - VS Series™ VS650 650 Watt 80 PLUS® White Certified PSU (UK)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Ok, so it is posting, that is good.

Go into boot order and set the USB as primary to see if it will boot into the installer? Or tried that already?

If you leave the SSD attached, remove the power or SATA to the storage drive, it won't boot to the installer at all?

Jun 26, 2021
Ok, so it is posting, that is good.

Go into boot order and set the USB as primary to see if it will boot into the installer? Or tried that already?

If you leave the SSD attached, remove the power or SATA to the storage drive, it won't boot to the installer at all?
Yh I've tried booting it like this but it displays the motherboard logo and then just shows "_". I've also tried taking out both the SSD and HDD and the same result happens.

Btw, I downloaded windows on the usb using a Mac and formatted using ExFat (if that's right/makes a difference).

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yh I've tried booting it like this but it displays the motherboard logo and then just shows "_". I've also tried taking out both the SSD and HDD and the same result happens.

Btw, I downloaded windows on the usb using a Mac and formatted using ExFat (if that's right/makes a difference).

It would be fair to say that could be the issue. I am not familiar enough with Mac to know if that would work or not. Have any PC/laptop that a friend would let you use long enough to load and make directly from Microsoft using their tool?

Jun 26, 2021
It would be fair to say that could be the issue. I am not familiar enough with Mac to know if that would work or not. Have any PC/laptop that a friend would let you use long enough to load and make directly from Microsoft using their tool?
I downloaded windows 10 on to my usb with a Windows laptop and it works now.

But, I tried the "startup repair" option in troubleshoot and now I'm stuck on Windows boot manager screen which says:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the
cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer
manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: The Boot Configuration Data file doesn't contain valid information for an operating system"

So currently I am unsure what to do next as I can't return back to the troubleshoot screen.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020

Its a bad hardware issue.
Try removing the other disks except for the windows USB.
The reason of your SSD not being recognized can be because of bad partition, the SSD being MBR and your BIOS being legacy, dead SSD, bad wiring.

Try removing all USB except the windows USB and mouse and keyboard.

Update me on the situation as I ran with the same error and I'm pretty sure you have the same problem as I had

Jun 26, 2021
Its a bad hardware issue.
Try removing the other disks except for the windows USB.
The reason of your SSD not being recognized can be because of bad partition, the SSD being MBR and your BIOS being legacy, dead SSD, bad wiring.

Try removing all USB except the windows USB and mouse and keyboard.

Update me on the situation as I ran with the same error and I'm pretty sure you have the same problem as I had
I tried with only the usb plugged in and without the SSD and HDD, but it shows the same "Windows Boot manager" screen that I described in my previous reply.

So is it most likely the SSD that is the problem and not the motherboard itself not detecting it?

Would I need to replace the SSD if this is the case? And would I be able to recover any files on the SSD?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020

Put the SSD on a working computer and try. I'd suggest to take it to a hardware repair shop and letting them test it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS