Pc wont open after a lightning

pychotos

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
My PC doesn't open after a lightning near our house i left it open then suddenly when i got back the AVR is not working already so i replaced it with a new working AVR then plugged the psu and monitor then turned on the AVR then a spark at the back of the psu went out and even the new AVR I plugged isn't working now. i have no idea what to do and the cause of problem

pychotos

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

Is that the best solution cuz im trying to save as much as i can

Well all you can do is hope.

Best case is the new PSU will work.

Worst case is the whole PC is fried.

pychotos

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

I have a surge protector here. can i try to plug the psu and monitor there ? Without getting much more problem

Your PSU is wasted.

Now what else is also fried nobody knows until you get a new one.

pychotos

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

So its sure that the psu is not working in this scenario ? Or there are some way to test if the psu is working before i buy new ones. Cuz i don't have much money to replace the vs550 now maybe it'll take some days before i replace it

pychotos

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

I have a spare deep cool but i don't know if its enough to replace my vs550 because it is written on the side that its true rated power is 350w and maximum is 500w

easwar2641993

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014

You can check with that to ensure only PSU is damaged. You haven't mentioned your full system spec.
You need to check the components one by one. Start with motherboard, cpu and ram and check if you are getting BIOS screen. If you don't get this, then the board is fried which indicates other components are fried as well. If you are able to access BIOS, then start checking with other components by adding one by one.

pychotos

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
You can check with that to ensure only PSU is damaged. You haven't mentioned your full system spec.
You need to check the components one by one. Start with motherboard, cpu and ram and check if you are getting BIOS screen. If you don't get this, then the board is fried which indicates other components are fried as well. If you are able to access BIOS, then start checking with other components by adding one by one.

[/quotemsg]
My specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4170 CPU @ 3.70GHz
Ram: Hyper x Fury 8gb ddr3 1866mhz
GPU: Sapphire Pulse Rx 560 2gb
PSU: Corsair VS550
MOBO: Gigabyte H81M-DS2

easwar2641993

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014

My specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4170 CPU @ 3.70GHz
Ram: Hyper x Fury 8gb ddr3 1866mhz
GPU: Sapphire Pulse Rx 560 2gb
PSU: Corsair VS550
MOBO: Gigabyte H81M-DS2[/quotemsg]

If your spare 350W PSU is working, it should power up this rig.

pychotos

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

If your spare 350W PSU is working, it should power up this rig.
[/quotemsg]

Okay thankyou but il try to buy another psu for replacement. Is vs450 good to replace my wasted psu ?

ron2456

Distinguished
Sorry to hear this, same happened to me around 8years ago. My Pentium system was fried. Literally mobo was burned in places. First thing is change the psu with a quality unit. Then check the whole system outside the case by connecting bare minimums like cpu, 1 stick of ram. If it boots then add another stick of ram. Then add hdd or ssd. If all boots add gpu. Then if it posts and windows is loaded do stress test usind aida 64 if no bsod occur then you are good to go. But be prepared for worst.

pychotos

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

Did you literally see the mobo parts as burned or something ? Cuz when i checked mine i dont see anything like that but im not really sure but hoping for the best. I dont think the avr can save my pc from the lightning so im planning to buy surge protector for the future

Had the same thing happen to me also.

Lost everything in the whole house, was a direct hit.

Lost 3 Complete PC's and assorted other electronic equipment, TV's etc.

It even cooked the garage door opener and a bunch of light bulbs.

easwar2641993

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014

Okay thankyou but il try to buy another psu for replacement. Is vs450 good to replace my wasted psu ?[/quotemsg]

It will power up your system, but not a good PSU. You can buy Corsair CX 450. It is a bit costlier than VS450 but quality wise far better than it.

ron2456

Distinguished

Yes, some mosfets were along with traces were burnt