[SOLVED] PC won't output display on startup ?

Sep 4, 2021
Okay, I will tell whole story as to give the most insight to the problem. I purchased this pc off of Ebay and received it in the mail a couple days ago. It is a ~2 year old custom pc build from the original owner. Here are the specs:

Corsair iCue 220T RGB Airflow Case
I7-9700F
MSI Z390-A Pro
ASUS GTX 1660 Super Phoenix OC
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 2x8GB 3200Mhz C16
Corsair RM750 80+ Gold Certified Power Supply
1x 500GB 2.5 inch SSD
1x 500GB HDD (actually a 1TB, but was listed this way)

Along with the original listing with pics: Original Listing

Upon opening the packaging it looked like this (no other damage can be seen and the internals look fine):
Corner of Case
Corner of inside

The mount of the GPU seems to be bent a little:
GPU port side
GPU profile
GPU board
GPU board

Here are other pics of the pc:
Internals
Internals with GPU
Back of PC
Side of PC with wires and hard drives

Here is a video of start up with HDMI plugged into GPU (video will expire):
Startup

The seller has been communicative with me to help solve my issue and has offered me a refund at this point in time, so I don't believe I am being scammed. He claims there was no damage to the pc before shipping and that it must have happened in transit through USPS. The GPU was removed for shipping and I reinstalled it after unpacking. When turning on the pc while plugged in through HDMI on the GPU, the pc lights up and everything starts running internally, though nothing actually displays on the monitor. The monitor will recognize there is an input source from any video output ports on the GPU, but not actually display anything, just turn on the backlight of the monitor. If I remove the GPU and try any of the video output ports from the CPU, then the monitor does not recognize any video source what so ever and shuts off after a minute.

It has Windows 10 Pro on it and is supposed to turn on to the setup screen when booted. I have tried to launch into BIOS to investigate further, but have had no luck. Will this display if there is something seriously wrong with the pc? I have tried getting to BIOS both with a Steelseries Apex 7 and basic keyboard in all of the usb slots on the pc. Still no luck with getting it up.

So far to try and fix I have:
  • tried cleaning and rearranging the ram sticks, with only one in slot 2 on the mobo as well
  • reinserted every cable on the mobo and checked all power cables
  • checked the ssd and hdd and both seem fine
  • tried a different monitor with still no display
I have yet tried to remove the cmos battery on the mobo to reset the BIOS as I've heard this may help.

I am literally at a loss as of what to do and would really appreciate it if I could get any help on here. I want to try and get this to work but if I have to return I will.
Please let me know if you need any additional pictures or info.

Thanks.

Solution
Try seating the gpu in the other pcie slot, also try backing off the cpu cooler a little bit off the cpu. It could have settled during transit. I would try the gpu in a friends pc to see if the gpu itself works.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Do try the clear cmos as well.

The next does look a little bend so make sure the gpu goes into the pcie slot well,

e3M0U23.png

Other thing, is this a crack i see or is this something on just the photo? See it on the other photo too so it's on the gpu, maybe why it won't display anything.

XnA1MMD.png

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021
Do try the clear cmos as well.

The next does look a little bend so make sure the gpu goes into the pcie slot well,

e3M0U23.png

Other thing, is this a crack i see or is this something on just the photo? See it on the other photo too so it's on the gpu, maybe why it won't display anything.

XnA1MMD.png
I've seen this line and it is some kind of white goo or your of some sort. I tried wiping it off the best I could.

Sep 4, 2021
So with changing the GPU to the other PCI slot. It recognizes a display port input but still shows nothing, but doesn't recognize HDMI input from the second pic slot.

Sep 4, 2021
[UPDATE] Turns out there's something up with the HDD and I can only get into bios without it plugged in. I now have a functioning PC!

Thank you guys for the help.

Reactions: Vic 40

TRENDING THREADS