Question PC won't output graphics but lights are on ?

Oct 17, 2023
Hello!

I purchased a system including an MSI B500M Pro-VDH WiFi motherboard and a Ryzen HD 8490 GPU to test the graphics (this computer's purpose is primarily CPU).

However, it will not display in a testbench configuration. RGB on the CPU cooler and RAM are on, indicating that they're active, and the GPU fan is occasionally spinning, which leads me to wonder whether the GPU and motherboard are compatible, or if there's anything else obvious I'm missing.

Full spec list is:
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
  • RAM: 128gb DDR4
  • GPU: Ryzen HD 8490
  • Motherboard: B500M Pro-VDH WiFi
Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU and it's age. Can you also pass on a link to the ram kit? If it's 4 sticks of ram, try working with two in slots A2 and B2. As for your discrete GPU, try and work with another make and model GPU, as it seems the problem might be due to a lack of UEFI support from the VBIOS end.

Oct 17, 2023
Thanks for the warm welcome!

The PSU is a Corsair RM750, probably a couple of months old a maximum.
I don't have a link to the RAM, but it's Kingston Fury Beast 2666mHz if I recall correctly.

Sorry, I don't have any links because I bought all this stuff a couple of months ago and couldn't make it work; just coming back to it now.

I tried booting with 2 sticks of RAM and got the same result.

If there's any way to make this work without buying a GPU that would be awesome, but I understand if not.