Question Pc won't post after installing gpu drivers

Peperuna

Honorable
Jun 18, 2017
So i just got a 5700xt to replace my old rx 580. I used ddu and installed the new drivers and everything was looking normal (screen flashing etc.), but after the instalation and pc automatically trying to restart it didn't even make it to bios. Now my motherboard shows red vga troubleshooting led.

I already tried changing the gpu to my old one, clearing the cmos, taking out my boot drive where the drivers were installed and nothing, still just a black screen and red vga light.

Specs are:

Msi b450 gaming plus
Rx5700xt (rx 580)
Ryzen 5 2600
2x8gb ddr4 3000mhz cl15
Seasonic focus gx-750w
1tb kingston nvme ssd
2x 1tb hdd
256gb sata ssd

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Peperuna

Honorable
Jun 18, 2017
It sounds like you may have a hardware issue with your new graphics card. The red VGA troubleshooting LED on your motherboard is indicating a problem with the graphics card.

First, make sure that the graphics card is properly seated in the PCIe slot, and that all the connectors are securely plugged in.

You could also try booting your PC with the new graphics card disconnected from the power supply, then connect it once the system is running.

Also, you could check the power supply to make sure it can handle the power draw of the new graphics card. The Seasonic Focus GX-750W should be enough, but it's worth double checking the power requirements of the RX 5700 XT and comparing them to the specifications of your power supply.

If none of these steps work, it's likely that the graphics card is defective and may need to be replaced.

I doubt the new gpu is faulty because it was running just fine before the driver installation and the motherboard shows the red vga light even when using my old gpu like i said before.

But i still tried to boot the pc without a gpu and then installing it and still nothing. The minimum psu size for the 5700xt should be 600w and the recomended size 700w so i should be fine there, and like i said the new card was runing fine before the driver installation. At first i manually deleted the old drivers and then installed the new ones and it was running good, but later i decided to do it again but properly this time with ddu, which led to this problem I'm having now.

Last edited:

Peperuna

Honorable
Jun 18, 2017
Update

I tried installing my old rx 580 into another pcie slot and for some reason the motherboard this time showed a red dram light but still didn't make it to bios, then i re-seated the ram and tried again and now it's back to the red vga light.

Is it even possible to brick a motherboard from a driver installation, because I'm starting to fear so.

TRENDING THREADS