[SOLVED] PC wont post after overclocking RAM

Jul 15, 2020
Before I get into the issue, my PC works fine when the RAM isn't overclocked, the issue come in when I try to clocked it at 3200MHz from 2400MHz (Which it use to be able to do fine) and after I clear the CMOS it works fine just with a lower RAM speed. I'm just wondering why this has started to happen and if there is a fix or do I need to get new RAM sticks?

Solution
It was running at 3200mhz for about 8/9 months maybe 10, no i wasn't using those profiles i was just changing it from auto to 3200mhz. Would that be the problem?

That is definitely your problem. Not to say you broke anything physically, you probably didn't. You need to use the profiles because the timings aren't right. Your system was likely never totally stable, and over time running like that can corrupt your windows install.

Try the profiles and see how it goes. You may need to do that AND then back up your data and reinstall Windows.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Before I get into the issue, my PC works fine when the RAM isn't overclocked, the issue come in when I try to clocked it at 3200MHz from 2400MHz (Which it use to be able to do fine) and after I clear the CMOS it works fine just with a lower RAM speed. I'm just wondering why this has started to happen and if there is a fix or do I need to get new RAM sticks?

More info needed. Full system specs, especially the specific brand and model of the RAM.

Jul 15, 2020
Thanks for this info. How long has it previously been running at 3200mhz?

Are you using the XMP/DOCP profiles to set it to 3200 mhz?
It was running at 3200mhz for about 8/9 months maybe 10, no i wasn't using those profiles i was just changing it from auto to 3200mhz. Would that be the problem?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

That is definitely your problem. Not to say you broke anything physically, you probably didn't. You need to use the profiles because the timings aren't right. Your system was likely never totally stable, and over time running like that can corrupt your windows install.

Try the profiles and see how it goes. You may need to do that AND then back up your data and reinstall Windows.

Solution
Jul 15, 2020

Thinking about it now, I think up until yesterday when my pc was having the problem, I'm pretty sure i used the DOCP profile, but ill give it a go

Reactions: Rogue Leader
Jul 15, 2020

It works now, I've got it on 3200mhz instead of 2400mhz, thanks for your help, absolute legend

TRENDING THREADS