Question PC won't POST after playing heavier games

Edric Valentine

Honorable
Jul 9, 2016
Good day, everyone!

I've been having problems with a PC that I built for a friend. I built it this March and started having issues with it after 2 months of usage. I'll detail all the issues I've had with it so far below.

The first instance was in late May wherein the PC won't POST after normal usage. I reset the CMOS battery and it continued to work but I had not closed the back panel yet. When I closed the back panel and tried it again, the PC won't POST again. A CMOS reset wasn't able to help this time. I installed a different 6-pin GPU (GPU B) into the said system (PC A) and it was able to boot. I tried the removed 8-pin GPU (GPU A) into my personal system (PC B) and both systems worked. But when I swapped the GPUs once again (GPU A in PC A), PC A wouldn't POST. What was able to fix it for quite some time was replacing the PSU extension cable for the GPU.

The second instance had the PC starting to lag and had software errors when trying to open Horizon Zero Dawn. The following error was found on device manager under display adapters: "This device is disabled. (Code 22)." Enabling it lead to another error: "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31)." Restarting the PC fixed the errors. My friend complained the following days that they had to re-enable the GPU in device manager every startup and they were experiencing performance issues on games that usually did not lag. Solved this by reinstalling the GPU drivers with DDU.

The third instance had the PC undergo unsuccessful boots wherein the Asus logo would show, loading, and a blank screen after. A hard reset would fix this though. The display would also shutoff in the middle of playing games but the PC fans were still running. Eventually, the PC wouldn't POST again. I put my personal GPU (GPU B) into the PC and it still wouldn't POST. What fixed it this time was reseating the RAM modules . I also put GPU A back into PC A. I have been using the PC for three weeks now to check if any issues would arise. I only play Valorant and Genshin Impact. The PC showed no issues at all for three weeks. I contacted my friend to ask what they did for the PC to have issues so I could try that out. I installed AC Origins and Horizon Zero Dawn to check it out. I ran AC Origins for hours without a problem. The PC would not POST the next day even though it has been running smoothly for three weeks. The only difference in usage is that I ran AC Origins for long.

Is there a part that should be replaced? I am suspecting either the GPU or the PSU. Please give me your thoughts on what component could be the cause of the problem.

The specs for the PC is below:

CPU: Intel i5-10400F
Motherboard: Asus Prime H510M-K
GPU: Gigabyte RX 570
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16Gb (2x8Gb) DDR4 3200MHz
SSD: Gigabyte 240Gb 2.5” SATA SSD
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1Tb 7200 RPM
Power Supply: FSP HyperK 500W 80+
Case: darkFlash DLM22