[SOLVED] PC wont post after some upgrades

Oct 22, 2019
Original Build:
Intel i5-6500
ASRock Z170 PRO4
GeForce GTX 1070
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4
WD Blue 2TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD20EZRZ
Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Worked fine as a starter gaming pc i build 3+ years ago, just decided to make some upgrades.

Replaced CPU with: Ryzen 7 2700x w/ Wraith Prism Cooler
Replaced MOBO with: MSI B450 Tomahawk
Replaced RAM with: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb 3600MHz DDR4

pcpartpicker showed no conflicts or incompatibilities and the build went pretty easy. however, when i tried to boot it up there were no lights, no sounds, no fans, nothing.
Troubleshooting i've tried so far:
  • triple checked all connections and everything seemed hooked up right, front panel header 100% oriented correctly
  • built the old pc again to make sure PSU wasn't fried and the old build works as it always has
  • built both builds outside of the case to make sure there wasn't contact with the case that was shorting it out and only the old build worked just like when they were in the case
  • i had amazon send me a new mobo cause i assumed it had to have just been a bricked mobo but i couldn't get the new one to show any signs of life either

Any ideas?

Oct 22, 2019
If disconnecting the CPU 8 pin power cable and starting the board, do the case fans spin?
i can try that later. im getting a lot of opinions on reddit saying its simply because its 3600MHz RAM which isnt officially supported by the B450 Tomahawk... seem right? could that cause the whole system to not work at all?

Oct 22, 2019
I tried without the CPU 8 pin and tried my old ram in the new build. Nothing i have tried has resulted in anything so far. no lights, no fans, no sound...

Oct 22, 2019
i tried that with both builds the other day cause i was thinking maybe the case was shorting something out the new build and only the old build worked then also