[SOLVED] PC wont post after turning on oc genie

yuvala2001

Prominent
Sep 4, 2018
Hey, I got an i5 3450 and a H61 mb, its pretty old and newer games like RDR2 needed a bit more power so I tried enabling in the bios the oc genie feature. PC made a couple of bips and turned off. I tried removing the bios battery for 5 minutes but the pc still wont post (no bios nor windows) but now there arent any bips from the mb's speaker

Solution
Hi there,

Is there any error codes on the motherboard, such as a digital code, or an LED next to components, etc? Having that may narrow down what is causing the issue. Also, is there a physical OC Genie button on the motherboard as well?

My suggestion would be to clear the CMOS again, and start the PC in a simplified configuration for the first time. To do that:

1. Turn PSU off, unplug PC.
  2. Press the power button on the PC (to drain capacitors).
  3. Take the CMOS battery out and wait for 5 minutes.
  4. If you have a dual channel memory kit, (or multiple kits), remove all of the RAM modules except for 1.
  5. Uninstall the GPU and plug your monitor into the motherboard port (CPU integrated graphics)
  6. Unplug your SSDs/HDDs...

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Hi there,

Is there any error codes on the motherboard, such as a digital code, or an LED next to components, etc? Having that may narrow down what is causing the issue. Also, is there a physical OC Genie button on the motherboard as well?

My suggestion would be to clear the CMOS again, and start the PC in a simplified configuration for the first time. To do that:

1. Turn PSU off, unplug PC.
  2. Press the power button on the PC (to drain capacitors).
  3. Take the CMOS battery out and wait for 5 minutes.
  4. If you have a dual channel memory kit, (or multiple kits), remove all of the RAM modules except for 1.
  5. Uninstall the GPU and plug your monitor into the motherboard port (CPU integrated graphics)
  6. Unplug your SSDs/HDDs
  7. re-insert the CMOS battery.
  8. plug PC in, turn on PSU
  9. Try to boot the PC and get into the BIOS if possible.

If that works, you can shut the PC down, turn it off, and reinstall your components, the BIOS should detect the changes again. Hope this helps :)

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I was noting in another manual that you (could) have both a button on the motherboard as well as a BIOS setting for enabling this feature. I haven't read anything official stating so, but some reading indicates the feature only works for CPU that are of K/unlocked series. Other reading indicated that it might work just to set you at clock boost, but that is also available as a power setting within Windows
It also appeared that you could have a dual BIOS setup? I am sure this is very specific to board and you didn't give your precise model....anyway. Everything I can find indicated that it either works or doesn't, as a safety so to speak. The only issue I could think of would be that button being pressed down and not booting due to it?

Beyond that, if you had an older or low quality PSU it might have blown on the new load? Paperclip test?

TRENDING THREADS