Question PC wont post anything with GPU installed.

Mar 18, 2020
So i have a few questions for the PC enthusiasts here.
I had this problem from the very start when i bought everything. All pieces are in place, i turn on the PC and nothing posts on the monitor yet my graphics card displays 2 colors (orange and white) and fans do not function. Everyrhing else works. What i usually do is take out one of the RAMs, boot the pc and magically, it posts and sends me to bios. I plug the RAM back in, restart and somehow the PC posts correctly. This happens from time to time but it became annoying fast.
Config:
I7 8700k
Asus Strix 1080
16gb ram 2400 (8x2 overclocked to 3200)
Z270 mSI gaming Plus motherboard
Samsung ssd (250gb)
Firecudda (1tb)
Noctua cooler for CPU (dh 14)

Anither issue is constantly happening. From time to time (more like from 10 to 10 minutes) i hear noises coming from the PC (like a fan hitting something while spinning) but i checked all the fans and cleaned them, all are ok. I figured out it must be from the CPU since that noise comes from that side. Its hard to describe the sound but its like a pebble stuck on a rotating disc.

If you have any answers to those problems, please let me know. I will also upgrade my PC in the next year or so but would like to know how to fix those issues first.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020
Super Flower - 650W
Super Flower SF-650F14MG

Also as an update -

I took check to see what the motherboard posted (code) - it was 1,2 , 1,2 , 1,2 (RAM issue).
I took out both RAM pieces, boot up the PC and it posted (and the graphics card works)
I added both RAM pieces back - same issue - no posting and same code on motherboard.
Took 1 RAM out and it worked - put it back again after a clean restart and it worked again. I noticed that in BIOS the RAM was set back to 2400).

Could this be an issue with the RAM itself or the sockets ? (4 sockets, all the same - currently using 2-4) - did not try 1-3.

As for the second issue with the weird sounds coming from the CPU - im out of ideas on what the cause may be.

Last edited:

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
The PSU is sufficient and I think you're nearly getting there. Personally, I would take the ovcerclock off but the fact that one stick worked properly and the other failed, means you have a pointer to that stick.

Are the two identically matched?
Would there not be a chance that one stick can handle an overclock and one would not? Potentially they aren’t a truly matched set