PC won't post. Bad ram?

AChristopherP

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014
First of all sorry for my bad english,

so here is the story,
1. I use MSI H170 M3 and 2x8gb team xtreem ddr4 ram. My pc was working fine for a year then suddenly it won't post at all, cpu and dram led flashing back and forth in mobo. So i rma the motherboard and got new same model replacement.

2. My second motherboard wont post again if i run in dual channel( system only post if ram placed in slot 3&4). So i send back to get new replacement. They send me different model which is MSI Z170A tomahawk.

3. My third motherboard also wont post if i run in dual channel( ram only work in slot 3&4 again). Im too lazy to rma again so i just go on with it. Then 3 weeks later my pc wont post with ram placed in any slot. System power up but cpu and dram led flashing back and forth just like my first morherboard.

I have tried reset cmos, unplug everything but mobo, cpu, heatsink, and ram, checking all cable connection, my psu is already checked too.

my spec:
MSI H170 gaming M3
i5-6500
Team xtreem dark ddr4 2x8gb 2666mhz
Seasonic platinum P660
XFX R9 390 DD
Case nzxt s340

Remove the CPU and carefully and thoroughly check the CPU and its socket for damaged or bent pins/pads, and make sure there is no dust, dirt, debris of any kind on or amongst the pins and pads. If all OK then remount CPU carefully and evenly. Uneven CPU mounting can cause lack of pin/pad contact which in turn causes all sorts of problems.

AChristopherP

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

might be a cpu problem, im going to rma my motherboard and ram first to see what's the actual problem

Remove the CPU and carefully and thoroughly check the CPU and its socket for damaged or bent pins/pads, and make sure there is no dust, dirt, debris of any kind on or amongst the pins and pads. If all OK then remount CPU carefully and evenly. Uneven CPU mounting can cause lack of pin/pad contact which in turn causes all sorts of problems.
did that, no bent pins or anything, still no post

If it is certain there are no issues with the CPU and its socket, then the PSU is now suspect. The CPU might be faulty, but this happens rarely compared to other components.

Some PSU faults can be difficult to detect. Some faults might only occur intermittently and/or while the PSU is under load.

Suggest trying another known working PSU as a test.

AChristopherP

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

3 weeks ago i already sent my psu for rma cause i thought it is psu problem, but they checked my psu and tell me nothing is wrong with my psu

Well, it depends on how thoroughly the PSU was tested for faults. The people testing may not have tested the PSU fully.

I had a faulty PSU that was sent in for "testing", but the people testing it said there was nothing wrong with it!? However, I insisted that there was a definite problem with the PSU, so the PSU was sent to another place for thorough testing. This time a fault was found and I got a replacement PSU!

So, it is still suggested that another known working PSU be tried as a test.

And/or, try another known working CPU as a test (as well).