[SOLVED] PC won't POST but fans spin etc

Jul 4, 2018
I've been struggling with this issue for a few months on and off, usually it starts working again for some reason.

When I turn my PC on all the fans spin (they are also usually a lot louder than usual) and the LED on the side of my case (which I assume is for HDD activity) lights up, however I don't get any signal whatsoever to my monitor, or any beeps from my motherboard speaker. The on/off/reset buttons are also completely unresponsive and if I turn it on/off at the switch on the back too quick then the PC starts to try to boot again.

I've tried replacing the cmos battery, removing the RAM and the GPU, as well as unplugging all the extras like the HDD, SSD, etc. which also sometimes seems to work but I think that must be by coincidence as I have had no luck with it.

I've checked out my CPU and no pins seem to be bent, and I've had a look around my motherboard and cant see any messed up capacitors

Anyone got any ideas? Cause I'm stumped.

Specs:
CPU: FX6300
GPU: R9 270x
MB: GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 1.0)
Storage: 1TB Seagate HDD, 500gb samsung evo ssd
PSU: EVGA 500w
Extra stuff: Elgato HD60 Pro

Last edited:
Solution
I think you browned out your PSU. Your computer is trying to boot up but when it tries to pull power to boot up it cant because I'm assuming you have a damaged PSU (which is a fairly easy and cheap component to replace. I would suggest going to your nearest computer hardware store and picking up a bigger PSU and try plugging that in. If it fixes the problem, you can either keep the new PSU in it, or you can return it and order a specific one online. If that doesn't solve the problem, get back to me but I'm 90% sure that's the problem.

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
I think you browned out your PSU. Your computer is trying to boot up but when it tries to pull power to boot up it cant because I'm assuming you have a damaged PSU (which is a fairly easy and cheap component to replace. I would suggest going to your nearest computer hardware store and picking up a bigger PSU and try plugging that in. If it fixes the problem, you can either keep the new PSU in it, or you can return it and order a specific one online. If that doesn't solve the problem, get back to me but I'm 90% sure that's the problem.

Solution