Question Pc wont post but If I remove GPU and place it back in it will turn on. Fix anyone?

TheOnlyHQ

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
I will unplug the GPU from PSU and mobo then reinsert it and plug it in and pc will boot normally, but as soon as I turn it off and try to turn it on again it wont post at all unless I repeat the process I stated before
Also, I moved the GPU slots..... currently about to test and........ nope it did not work
Side note VGA light on the mobo is on.
Broken mobo?
Incorrect drivers?
I don't know at this point. Pretty odd scenario
Suggestions anyone?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard: B450 Gaming PRO Carbon AC
Memory: G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz
Storage: Kingston A400 240G Internal SSD M.2 and 1TB HDD
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 5700 Xt 8GB
Power Supply: CORSAIR RMX Series (2018), RM650x
Case: Corsair Icue 220T RGB

Last edited:

TheOnlyHQ

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
Could be drivers, there were many issues with the older 5700 XT drivers, use Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode to completely remove all current drivers, then install the latest version only.
I just finished doing that but it didn't work. I still need to remove the GPU from the PCIe slot and place it back for the pc to post at all after simply turning it off.

TheOnlyHQ

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
Try updating the motherboard BIOS. If that also doesn't work, I'm afraid you're gonna have to start replacing parts.
gotcha I'll try updating them in a bit, also I have a strong feeling about it being a motherboard issue, if I were to switch what would you recommend? preferably something under $200.
Also, I wanted to add that it's weird because the PC will start and act normally as long I unplug the GPU from the PCIe slot, odd AF.
Finally, sorry for the bother just annoyed by this issue.

gotcha I'll try updating them in a bit, also I have a strong feeling about it being a motherboard issue, if I were to switch what would you recommend? preferably something under $200.
Also, I wanted to add that it's weird because the PC will start and act normally as long I unplug the GPU from the PCIe slot, odd AF.
Finally, sorry for the bother just annoyed by this issue.
You could try getting a replacement of the same board itself, or you could get a B450 Tomahawk MAX. The latter supports 2rd gen Ryzen out of the box, so you won't face any older-BIOS compatibility issues. It's usually priced at about $115. If you want higher end you could get an X570 board for PCI-e gen 4, but it's really unnecessary expenditure at this point of time.

No worries about the questions, we are here to help after all.

TheOnlyHQ

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
I felt like giving you an update and I found out that it was a power issue. I took my PC out, reseated, and connected it to another outlet, PC proceeded to work like normal. I took it to my room and plugged it in only for it to work fine until about the third time I turn it on. I take back outside and plugged it into the socket and it turned on like normal. The outlet I was using was heavily worn down and I had about 6 devices connected. I believe this was the problem as from the day I switched outlets it works just fine. Hopefully, I solved the problem!!!

Anyways thanks Shektron for all the good insight.
very much appreciated.