Question PC won't POST for a couple of hours, and crashes with CPU light on ?

Apr 2, 2021
Hello everybody,

I have been having some problems with my PC lately.

The first one has is already a couple years old: When I turn off my PC, in order to turn back on I need to wait a couple hours. When I turn it on right after turning off, for example, It does not POST, and the motehrboard lights up the VGA, DRAM and BOOT lights. Today I actually found out a way of "fixing" this issue. After being stuck when I turn it on, I flip the I/O button very fast, and the PC boots up normally. However, I believe that this is not a good solution. Besides not solving the problem permanently, it seems to be harmful. In addition, I bought new parts, and changed the motherboard, CPU, and RAM. The problem remained on the new system, which leads me to think that the source is either in the graphics card or the PSU.

The second problem arose with the new parts: During the first two weeks I didn't have any problems, but today the PC has stopped working twice: the screen turns off, as well as the peripherals. The PC seems to be turned on (the fans run, and the CPU light appears on). From what I've seen, there are some compatibility problems between the motherboard and the CPU. I just updated the BIOS, and nothing has happened since then.

I found these links about the compatibility problems:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/ccmuo4/there_are_currently_issues_with_msi_b450_boards/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cvifja/is_there_still_an_issue_with_zen2_chips_with_b450/

Here are the specs of the PC I had before and after the new parts:

Before the new parts:

Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming
CPU: Intel i5 6600
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4-3000MHz CL15 RED
GPU: AMD R9 380
PSU: Corsair VS650 80+ White
HDD: toshiba dt01aca050 500gb
SSD: ADATA SP550 128GB

After the new parts:

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: G.SKILL Aegis 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000MHz CL16 Black
GPU: same
PSU: same
HDD: same
SSD: same

Thanks for helping out!

PS: sorry for the bad English, English is not my first language.

Last edited: