[SOLVED] PC won't post if a GPU is connected

Feb 18, 2020
The PC will not start if a GPU is connected to it. I have 2 GPUs that I have tested it with and neither will get me past the initial startup bios screen (which doesn't allow me to enter bios by pressing DEL etc.)

I have also tested this with 2 different PSUs and neither changed the outcome.

The PC runs fine when using the integrated graphics so I'm at a loss!

Specs:
Windows 10
AMD FX8+ 8350
MSI GTX970 4GB
ASUS Hybrid CFX

Many thanks

Solution
Sadly it did not work. Disabled the integrated graphics and plugged my GPU back in and the same screen showed up as before, any other ideas?

Have you updated the motherboard's BIOS?
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A78LM_LX3/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Looks like the latest version is 1401, uploaded in 2017. You may have an older version. Read the manual to see how to flash bios properly. You'll most likely need a USB drive that's formatted as FAT32. Old BIOS' are usually the culprit to these issues.

Also while you're in the BIOS check on the PCIe option, maybe it has a feature to enable/disable it. If not then don't worry about it, just another option to look at.
Not judging you - but did you make sure the video cable was plugged into the graphic card's video out port while booting up? And the PSU's VGA cables plugged in firmly on both the video card and PSU side?

More technically, have you tested any other PCIe ports?

Feb 18, 2020
Not judging you - but did you make sure the video cable was plugged into the graphic card's video out port while booting up? And the PSU's VGA cables plugged in firmly on both the video card and PSU side?

More technically, have you tested any other PCIe ports?

Thanks for your response!

Yes they were all connected properly but unfortunately my motherboard only has one PCIe port.

All the parts in the PC do light and up and are running, aswell as the usual 'beep' from the motherboard to say that it's powering up fine.

They screen displays the initial motherboard screen but does not go any further

Thanks for your response!

Yes they were all connected properly but unfortunately my motherboard only has one PCIe port.

All the parts in the PC do light and up and are running, aswell as the usual 'beep' from the motherboard to say that it's powering up fine.

They screen displays the initial motherboard screen but does not go any further

Do you have a friend whose PC you can test the cards on? Also what motherboard is it?

Asus M5A78L-M LX3 Socket AM3+

Potentially yes but the other graphics card I tried was taken from a working PC so I'm thinking it couldn't be that?

Try going into the bios and disabling any crossfire or integrated GPU functionality and see if you can set it to the dedicated GPU. You might want to plug in your dedicated GPU in before doing this so when you disable the IGPU it can switch over to the main GPU.

Though I would look up video tutorials if you can about this specific board and the BIOS GPU settings as I don't want you to disable the IGPU and end up having NONE of them work out.

I tried scoping out the manual but as far as I can see it only shows where it could be:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/M5A78L-M_LX3/E8025_M5A78L-M_LX3_Series.pdf
Page 45 (2-9). The advanced BIOS menu.

Feb 18, 2020
Try going into the bios and disabling any crossfire or integrated GPU functionality and see if you can set it to the dedicated GPU. You might want to plug in your dedicated GPU in before doing this so when you disable the IGPU it can switch over to the main GPU.

Though I would look up video tutorials if you can about this specific board and the BIOS GPU settings as I don't want you to disable the IGPU and end up having NONE of them work out.

I tried scoping out the manual but as far as I can see it only shows where it could be:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/M5A78L-M_LX3/E8025_M5A78L-M_LX3_Series.pdf

I would have to do it without the GPU plugged in as the initial screen doesn't allow me to actually enter the bios if it is plugged in.

Thankyou very much for finding that info and I will try it now and report back

Reactions: Newtonius
Feb 18, 2020

Sadly it did not work. Disabled the integrated graphics and plugged my GPU back in and the same screen showed up as before, any other ideas?

Looks like the latest version is 1401, uploaded in 2017. You may have an older version. Read the manual to see how to flash bios properly. You'll most likely need a USB drive that's formatted as FAT32. Old BIOS' are usually the culprit to these issues.

Also while you're in the BIOS check on the PCIe option, maybe it has a feature to enable/disable it. If not then don't worry about it, just another option to look at.

Solution
Feb 18, 2020

Thankyou I updated the bios and the only thing that has changed is that I can no enter the bios menu on startup, but other than that it still wont boot past the initial screen