Question PC won't post, mobo says it's a cpu error

Aug 15, 2019
So I built a computer about a year ago

Mobo: asus ROG STRIX X470-I Gaming
Cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
Gpu: Asus ROG STRIX GTX 1070ti
Mem: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8gb
Psu: EVGA supernova 650 G3

Worked fine initially but as time went on, it would freeze often and have trouble booting. The frequency of this issue persisted until it would almost never boot. Flashed BIOS and comp froze, shut down in the middle of it. Now I'm freaking out.

I'd had my RAM replaced in the past as one stick was faulty and after the BIOS fiasco, sent out my mobo to Asus under warranty. They said nothing was wrong with it but would mail me a replacement. Got the replacement, mounted everything and it wouldn't post; LEDs indicated a cpu error and forum searching seemed to confirm I had a faulty cpu.

Shipped out the cpu and got a replacement from AMD. Today I put everything back together and my mobo still won't post, stops on the red indicator LED signaling that it is still a cpu issue.

Idk what is up. I've disassembled and reassembled the thing 4 times now; no bent pins, thermal glue coating the whole chip, and everything is plugged in correctly. Seriously at my wits end, anyone have some advice?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most times with Ryzen, it's not a faulty cpu, but a ram issue. The memory controller is part of the cpu so it kicks that error instead.

I'd try 1 stick of ram in slot A2, (always use A2/B2 for Ryzens) and only the cpu fan, ram, eps and mains power connectors, no monitor, no drives, no gpu. Reset cmos and see if it'll get post then.

Hopefully it will, at which point start adding things back in, 1 at a time, resetting cmos each shutdown, until something bugs. I'd leave the drives for last, easier that way, but gpu and monitor first to allow bios access. Asus should have sent a board with the latest bios revision, but that's not always the case.

Aug 15, 2019
Most times with Ryzen, it's not a faulty cpu, but a ram issue. The memory controller is part of the cpu so it kicks that error instead.

I'd try 1 stick of ram in slot A2, (always use A2/B2 for Ryzens) and only the cpu fan, ram, eps and mains power connectors, no monitor, no drives, no gpu. Reset cmos and see if it'll get post then.

Hopefully it will, at which point start adding things back in, 1 at a time, resetting cmos each shutdown, until something bugs. I'd leave the drives for last, easier that way, but gpu and monitor first to allow bios access. Asus should have sent a board with the latest bios revision, but that's not always the case.
The mobo only has A1 and B1 slots