[SOLVED] PC won't post. My bad for being dead cheap

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Hey there, so long story short, I got myself a second hand PC that was rocking a 980TI. Components: 7 2700x, b450 MSI, 16gb hyperx ram 3333. I got it without the GPU though, and to make matters spicier, I bought myself an EVGA 1080 at a London Auction house for 120 quid. Although it's a respectable AH, they couldn't guarantee it worked.

So now, when I instal the new GPU in the PC, the red VGA led turns red and stays that way and I get no signal and no gpu fans spinning, like I see many people do around here.

First guess is that it might be BIOS related, but without having a spare GPU, or the old one, how am I suppose to update it? Also, how am I suppose to figure out if the GPU is done with without trying it in a new pc?

I tried most of the things people recommended here, but can't do much if I can't even get into Bios.

Thanks!

Solution
A GTX1080 actually needs less power than your GTX980ti.
You bought a used card with no guarantee that it was not defective.
Hopefully lesson learned.

Perhaps the auction house will take it and sell it again.

Buying used can be a very good deal.
If you buy used, look on ebay.
They protect buyers.

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Cheers for the reply. I would guess so, but I cant think of any way to actually be 100% about that. Gpu lights up, but fans don’t spin, which when I googled it, this evga 1080 SC model says to only start spinning the fans at a certain temp, so no way to test that. Could it simply not be a simple bios issue?

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Hey, so the verdict is that the graphics card was busted. I was offered a no fix no pay on it for 50 pounds which i took. I’m going to see how it goes. Regardless of how that will pan out, im currently mainly playing apex and dota so not intensive games. What would you recommend as a gpu that will last me for a few years. My thinking now is still a 1080 or a 5700rx. I’m alao running a msi monitor which supports amd freesync or whatever it’s called. Cheers!

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Hey,

So I need to stop being an idiot and buying second hand stuff, which I'm tempted to do again, but should not :) So i'd say around 400 Pounds new, which might make 1080 a bit out of budget.

A GTX1080 actually needs less power than your GTX980ti.
You bought a used card with no guarantee that it was not defective.
Hopefully lesson learned.

Perhaps the auction house will take it and sell it again.

Buying used can be a very good deal.
If you buy used, look on ebay.
They protect buyers.

Solution

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Yea, it was a risk indeed, but as i got the 1080 for 120 pounds it was too good to miss out :). Ebay can’t match that. This stupid card even had the plastic on it, so it was probably a faulty return.