Loam12

Reputable
Apr 8, 2019
GPU : SAPPHIRE RX 570
Mobo : Msi B450 mortar (not max)
CPU : Ryzen 5 5600x
Ram : 2x4gb Kingston hyperx 2666Mhz
Psu: evga 500b

Ive recently upgraded my CPU from a ryzen 3 2200g to a ryzen 5 5600x. On boot, The ez debug mobo light shows a red solid light on the CPU. Ive upgraded my bios before doing this as I know the original version didnt support my new CPU. All fans are spinning including CPU fan, GPU fan does not spin but i dont think they spun on startup anyways.

Loam12

Reputable
Apr 8, 2019
Such a shame, the thought of having a beta bios doesn't sit right with me. Is there anywhere I can see news on upcoming updates to the b450 mortar, so I can see when they are releasing a full version? I'm not too sure what a beta bios entails, I don't want to ruin my motherboard or other parts. If I find that they are releasing a bios update fairly soon, I may consider using the beta bios with my new cpu until the new bios is released.

Loam12

Reputable
Apr 8, 2019
Mobo: MSI B450 MORTAR.

I have recently purchased a CPU, Ryzen 5 5600x, and updated my mobo to the latest non beta version and tried booting it up with my new CPU, obviously the PC did not post. Now, is there any way that could have damaged my new CPU or other parts (I forced powered off due to the black screen multiple times as well)

I now have 2 options, either return the CPU or risk using a beta bios to run it. I am worried about the beta bios ruining my mobo or other parts, If I have issues can I always revert using BIOS flashback button/ using the update from the support site? In that case, worst case scenario is I have to flashback and my return period for my new CPU ends and I have to use my old CPU until buying a new motherboard or something.

Loam12

Reputable
Apr 8, 2019
Also is there anyways I can see updates on when the next official version is being released? How long I have to use the beta version until the next official release will impact my decision.

Like you say, ive generally stayed away from Beta BIOS's, especially with my gigabyte board, they're famous for releasing dodgy BIOS. To be honest, Im surprised with yours that they havnt used more updates, I mean, most B450 boards have supported the 5000 series cpu's for quite some time and are over their Beta phase and have it down pretty stable now, I think maybe because yours is one of the older boards,( I mean this by it predates the MAX versions,) that they've been pretty lazy keeping up with the updates. I dont think it will brick your board, it's a shame that no one else has commented that may have the same board/cpu that has been using the Beta and tell you how it does. Just an observation on the rest of your system but you could do with some better RAM, 2x8 (16gb) of 3200-3600mhz would really improve your system, ryzens love fast RAM.

Loam12

Reputable
Apr 8, 2019
Like you say, ive generally stayed away from Beta BIOS's, especially with my gigabyte board, they're famous for releasing dodgy BIOS. To be honest, Im surprised with yours that they havnt used more updates, I mean, most B450 boards have supported the 5000 series cpu's for quite some time and are over their Beta phase and have it down pretty stable now, I think maybe because yours is one of the older boards,( I mean this by it predates the MAX versions,) that they've been pretty lazy keeping up with the updates. I dont think it will brick your board, it's a shame that no one else has commented that may have the same board/cpu that has been using the Beta and tell you how it does. Just an observation on the rest of your system but you could do with some better RAM, 2x8 (16gb) of 3200-3600mhz would really improve your system, ryzens love fast RAM.
Ive decided to firm the bios update and everything is working fine (i think) so far. Just hoping problems dont start revealing themselves down the line. Regarding RAM upgrade thats probably what I want to upgrade next when I can afford to spend a bit, just wanted to get rid of the cpu bottleneck that my old cpu was causing, leading to problems in a lot of games.

Loam12

Reputable
Apr 8, 2019
What processor did you have?
I had a ryzen 3 2200g which would bottleneck my gpu (RX 570).

Ive decided to firm the bios upgrade now, everything seems fine so far and my cpu is working, I just hope that no problems start showing up. Thermals for cpu seem quite high though, might be cause I messed up the thermal paste a bit, since I took off the stock cooler for a few hours before deciding to go for the update and slapping it on again. Probably shouldve tested the cpu WITHOUT putting on the fan and getting the paste over it.