[SOLVED] PC won't POST, red CPU led on motherboard

Sep 19, 2020
Hi everybody,

After having an issue with my pc randomly shutting off between 5 to 30 seconds after powering it on, i changed the PSU, to see if that was the issue.

While connecting the new PSU, i noticed the real issue wasn't the PSU, but the liquid cooler fan that was detached from the CPU (one of the side plastic "thing" was broken). So i fixed that, changing the thermal paste in the meanwhile. I attached new cables to the PSU (but not SATA, since they seemed compatible with the previous PSU), and tried turning it on. Nothing happened, or the pc turned on for a splitsecond, than off again.

I tried checking all the cables, changing the SATA to PSU cables with the new PSU's ones. This time the pc turned on indeed! Fans on, everything seemed fine... but nothing on screen. No POST. Also, the GPU fans seem at maximum speed, and overall it's a bit noisy (usually it was quite silent). The power on button doesn't work to turn the pc off again, even if i press it for 15 seconds straight. Is that a symptom or something?

Anyway, checking the motherboard, i noticed the CPU alert led was on.

Things i tried so far that didn't work:

- Unmounting the CPU. Pins are not bent, everything seems fine. Changed the thermal paste again and reattached

- Resetting the CMOS. Turned everything off, detached the power cable, then removed the small battery for 5 minutes

- Reseating the RAM, using only one RAM stick, switching them

- Check if CPU is not mounted too tight

- Some prayers, i guess?

Can you guys help me out or point me in the right direction maybe? I'd be very very grateful...

Solution
@Nanday_
If the CPU light is on then it generally means the test of the CPU failed during POST (power on self test). I suspect you started having the random problems because your CPU was overheating and now it is fried. If you took the computer to a shop, they could probably test that for you (I assume you don't have another CPU around).
@Nanday_
If the CPU light is on then it generally means the test of the CPU failed during POST (power on self test). I suspect you started having the random problems because your CPU was overheating and now it is fried. If you took the computer to a shop, they could probably test that for you (I assume you don't have another CPU around).

Solution