[SOLVED] PC wont post. when I start my pc my fans start spinning but my GPU and case fan switch off straight after.

Apr 18, 2019
I need your guys help. I recently tried to upgrade my pc with a new cpu i5-9600k. Because my mother board was outdated I also had to me one of those so the socket fits: Gigabyte - H310M A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard and new RAM: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory. when I put my parts togheter my PC was unable to post (it does turn on tho). I saw to my suprise that my GPU fans stoped spinning after 3 seconds when i turn on my PC and same goes for my case fan.
I thought It might have been my motherboard so I send it back to the manufacturer but they said there was nothing wrong with it. So I need your help guys.

I'm using the same GPU as with my old rig the: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB Windforce OC Video Card. So I can't believe that it is broken all of a sudden.
My New rig consists off:
CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ( new )
GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB Windforce OC Video Card (from old rig)
MOBO: Gigabyte - H310M A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ( new )
RAM: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ( new )
PSU: an old SilverStone 500W ( from old rig)
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB ( from old rig)
HDD: Some old one that holds 500GB ( from old rig )

Could this be a PSU problem where my rig doesn't get enough power or something?

Please help me get my pc running.

shemsureshot

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
I had a problem like this a few years ago. Resetting the bios using the CMOS reset button or jumper didn’t help. I ended up removing the lithium battery from the motherboard and it solved the issue for me. Before you take it out make sure your power supply is switched off and disconnected etc. If you are unsure how to do this there are a few guides available on YouTube and co.

Edit: to clarify, remove the battery for around 5 minutes then put it back in before you turn the pc back on.

rgd1101

Don't
I had a problem like this a few years ago. Resetting the bios using the CMOS reset button or jumper didn’t help. I ended up removing the lithium battery from the motherboard and it solved the issue for me. Before you take it out make sure your power supply is switched off and disconnected etc. If you are unsure how to do this there are a few guides available on YouTube and co.
the issue is with unsupported cpu without bios update.
resetting the cmos doesn't fix that

Apr 18, 2019

Edit: to clarify, remove the battery for around 5 minutes then put it back in before you turn the pc back on.
Any advice is welcome buddy. Dont worry about it.

rgd1101

Don't
if that doesn't fix it, go thru the check list

Apr 18, 2019
@rgd1101

I just removed the cmos battery and put it back in. The result is that now the case fan and gpu fan instead of starting once and dieing completly they keep starting and dying every 3 seconds. And i got one Beep.

Does this confirm your suspiscion about the motherboard or does this indicate something new?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019
@rgd1101
I can probebly still return this mobo to the store i bought it from. But my question to you is if there are motherboards for my setup that will be instantly on the good bios etc so it will instantly work when bought?

Apr 18, 2019
the 9600k is too new. only the last bios support it 3/15/19, that mean the mobo have to be manufactured after that, sound like getting the store to update that Gigabyte probably still the best
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-M-GAMING-rev-10#support-dl-bios
Alright than ill just wait till they respond, I asked them what they updated my mobo to because they did say that they had updated it. But I will only get this response on like tuesday because of festivities here.

Also could you maybe name like 3 micro atx motherboards that are like ready on the buy. ( if it is to much effort to find it don't bother with it) ( don't wana take to much of your time)

Last edited: