[SOLVED] PC won't post with any SATA storage installed

Sep 10, 2020
Just finished putting a PC together for my dad with all new pieces apart from using an older HDD and SSD. Go to boot, and the PC powers on for a split second (fan moves slightly and onboard LED lights up for a split second) before the system shuts itself down. Pressing the power button no longer does anything until the PSU is turned off and back on again/unplugged and plugged back in.

However with no Sata storage plugged in, it works absolutely fine and I can boot into bios or windows setup with a USB (but can't install it because I need a hard drive to install it to). If I try plug the HDD/SSD in when the system is on, it immediately turns off.

I can however plug the drives into my PC, and access them with no problems. I even tried plugging in a brand new SSD into the problem PC and it has the same issue, so surely the problem isn't with the drives themselves, but yet without them in, the system will post..

Any ideas?

Sep 10, 2020
please post your CPU, motherboard, HDD and SSD models

use a different SATA data and power cable and try different sata ports

update your BIOS to the latest version

Ah, sorry!

Ryzen 3 3100
MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX
MSI RX570 ARMOR
CX650M

Have tried:
(Old) WD 10EZRX (1TB HDD)
(Old) Samsung 840 EVO (120GB SSD)
(New) Crucial BX500 (240GB SSD)

And earlier was successful in detecting and using the 1TB HDD on my other PC. Whereas this new one won't even boot with any of them plugged in...

Have used different SATA and power cables and tried both ports on the motherboard.

I haven't tried flashing the bios because I didn't think that should reasonably effect this, but if you think it might help can give it a go?

Sep 10, 2020
Was there per chance a PSU swap where these drives might have at one time been connected to a new PSU but using old modular cables? (which will kill all drives so connected 'lickety split' 9 times out of 10!)

Definitely plausible, but the drives (or at least the 1TB one I've tested) still works and can be accessed from my other PC. It's just that on this PC it won't boot with ANY storage device connected (through SATA - I've booted windows on it with USB). Super weird

dimtodim

Reputable
Just finished putting a PC together for my dad with all new pieces apart from using an older HDD and SSD. Go to boot, and the PC powers on for a split second (fan moves slightly and onboard LED lights up for a split second) before the system shuts itself down. Pressing the power button no longer does anything until the PSU is turned off and back on again/unplugged and plugged back in.

However with no Sata storage plugged in, it works absolutely fine and I can boot into bios or windows setup with a USB (but can't install it because I need a hard drive to install it to). If I try plug the HDD/SSD in when the system is on, it immediately turns off.

I can however plug the drives into my PC, and access them with no problems. I even tried plugging in a brand new SSD into the problem PC and it has the same issue, so surely the problem isn't with the drives themselves, but yet without them in, the system will post..

Any ideas?
did u connect everything correctly?check everything once again

Sep 10, 2020
did u connect everything correctly?check everything once again

I would assume so - but I'll try unplug and replug everything and see if that makes any difference

did you reset the BIOS by jumper yet?

don´t plug in SATA while the system is on ;)

I've never done that before, but I can give it a whirl. I read somewhere something about resetting by popping out the battery on the mobo. Would that work here? Also would resetting the bios roll back to a previous version that would no longer work with the 3rd gen Ryzen CPU?

Sep 10, 2020

Thank you so much! My dumb self didn't realise there was a difference between cables with PSU's so had carried the ones across from my previous build. I had no idea that cables as generic as SATA really cares which PSU they belong to.

Super helpful, thanks very much! It's all running fine now thank goodness!