[SOLVED] PC won't post with ASRock's RX580 Phantom Gaming 8GB OC

Feb 28, 2020
Greetings, everyone.

Recently, I tried putting a completely new RX580 in my PC, but despite every effort, it won't even post. The motherboard LED turns on, CPU fans turn on too, but that's it. The GPU doesn't turn on and nothing comes out of the integrated graphics port on the MDB.

My specs are as follows:

• CPU: Intel i7-2600;
  • MDB: Intel DH67BL;
  • RAM: 2x DDR3 4Gb 1333MHz (forgot wich brand, will update later);
  • PSU: Dr. Hank 500W (brazilian PSU, old and unknown but actually decent);
  • SDD: Crucial MX500 500Gb (my system drive)
  • HDD: 1TB 5400RPM from Samsung (don't have the part number right now, will update on it later);

I have been using a GTX660 for 5 years now in this system, so the PCI-E slot is definitely working.

The PSU only has two 6-pin connectors, so I used a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter. In theory, it shouldn't be a problem, since the RX580 isn't very power hungry and the PSU can take it at its maximum. Maybe the adapter is the problem? I can have the RX580 on the PCI-E slot without its power connector and the PC will turn on fine.

I'm afraid it is a motherboard problem, since this one is very old and crappy in many ways, but I haven't heard of GPU to MDB incompatibility and I don't understand much of the subject, so I'm in need of a lot of help.

Removing RAM sticks doesn't change anything too, and I haven't found any cases similar to this. Could this really be the PSU, despite everything? Am I missing something?

I'm desperate.

Solution
It sounds like a PSU issue to me, since you stated that it is old and only has 2x 6 Pins. The adapter might also be the issue.
There is a very low chance that the GPU is broken, so in this case I'd suggest that you'd get a new 600W PSU (theoretically 500W is enough for a 580 but it's never wrong to have more) Make sure it has the required 8 Pin connector. Other than that, you can't really do much. If you have overclocked your I7, I'd suggest to remove it before doing anything else. Also please state your Motherboard.
  1. Do you have the monitor cable plugged into the IO ports on the motherboard or to the RX580 card itself?
  2. Not sure why you think that PSU is actually decent.
  3. Is this an OEM machine? Have you searched and installed the most recent BIOS update for it?
  4. There's a possibility that this mobo doesn't support AMD RX GPUs at all. (VESA mode 103, I learned from forum member KingV).

Reactions: dotas1
Aug 8, 2019
It sounds like a PSU issue to me, since you stated that it is old and only has 2x 6 Pins. The adapter might also be the issue.
There is a very low chance that the GPU is broken, so in this case I'd suggest that you'd get a new 600W PSU (theoretically 500W is enough for a 580 but it's never wrong to have more) Make sure it has the required 8 Pin connector. Other than that, you can't really do much. If you have overclocked your I7, I'd suggest to remove it before doing anything else. Also please state your Motherboard.

Solution
Feb 28, 2020
  1. Do you have the monitor cable plugged into the IO ports on the motherboard or to the RX580 card itself?
  2. Not sure why you think that PSU is actually decent.
  3. Is this an OEM machine? Have you searched and installed the most recent BIOS update for it?
  4. There's a possibility that this mobo doesn't support AMD RX GPUs at all. (VESA mode 103, I learned from forum member KingV).

1- With the RX580 fully plugged in to the PC, it doesn't get to post. I've tried it with the video cable (DVI-D) plugged in the motherboard video connector and in the graphics card connector too, and the results are the same. I noticed that the graphics card doesn't turn on its fans, too.

2- Just as an idea: I have another power supply lying around, but of lower power and quality. Could I plug the motherboard, drives and processor in one PSU and have the other plugged in only to my GPU, so I can test if my actual PSU doesn't have enough power for it?

3- It's not OEM. From what I've searched, I believe I have the most recent BIOS, but when I get home I'll make sure to update it and tell you guys about it.

4- Could you please elaborate a bit more on this topic? What makes a motherboard not compatible with a graphics card (or vice versa), apart from the type of PCI communication?

I'm very thankful for your help.

Feb 28, 2020

Thanks!

I'll see if I'm able to buy another PSU soon. Do you think the Corsair VC650 is any good?

Currently, I'm not doing any overclocking, so that is out of the equation. Would just testing continuity between the contacts of my 8-pin adapter do the job, or is there another thing needed to know if it is actually the culprit?

Feb 28, 2020
I'd say the most likely culprit at this time is your PSU.
Corsair's VS PSUs are not very great. Are you shopping in Brazil? How much are you looking to spend?

Certainly check on the mobo BIOS update though.

Do you have any brand and/or PSU line to recommend?

I'm shopping in Brazil, yes. If a new PSU is needed, my budget is about USD$90 (R$400 in my country). I know, not much. But if the cost is somewhere near this mark, it's ok.

I'll update the BIOS and update you guys as soon as possible. Thank you for your help.