pc wont post with new gtx 1080

nahort

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
just received a new msi gtx 1080. when i install card into system the motherboard bios screen will come up but it stalls there with the splash screen showing. i uninstalled all drivers in windows and checked to make sure pcie graphics cards are enabled in bios.

i guess my first thought is that i need a bios update? would that cause the system to not boot?

specs:

gigabyte motherboard model z77x-ud5h
bios version- F8
bios id- 8a01ag0e
bios date- 5/31/2012

processor- i7 3770k

psu is decent and 950 watts.
16gb ram which i can look up if needed but dont know off top of my head

also running windows 10

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Solution
Assuming you entered BIOS and Windows with the old GPU, did you uninstall the drivers using DDU or just manually?

A BIOS update might help if your motherboard does not have the latest one currently. However there's a slight risk when updating BIOS, if you're no experienced in this matter or are not sure what to do exactly ask.

Sometimes clearing the CMOS helps too. I would suggest you do that before attempting to update the BIOS.

There are several BIOS versions on Gigabyte website after F8, but one in particular, namely F13 has this description:

1- Improve VGA compatibility
2- Support multi-language

If clearing CMOS does not help updating to this version might do the trick. Again, read the instructions on manufacturer's website and...
Yeah, take out the graphics card and plug into the MB and update the bios.

Then shut down.

Unplug the PSU.

Reset the bios using the jumper on the MB or pull the battery for a few mins.

Plug the PSU back in and turn on the PC>

If it works shut back down, unplug the PSU and install the graphics card.

Make sure you plug the monitor into the graphics card and connect the power.

Plug the PSU back in and turn it on.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Assuming you entered BIOS and Windows with the old GPU, did you uninstall the drivers using DDU or just manually?

A BIOS update might help if your motherboard does not have the latest one currently. However there's a slight risk when updating BIOS, if you're no experienced in this matter or are not sure what to do exactly ask.

Sometimes clearing the CMOS helps too. I would suggest you do that before attempting to update the BIOS.

There are several BIOS versions on Gigabyte website after F8, but one in particular, namely F13 has this description:

1- Improve VGA compatibility
2- Support multi-language

If clearing CMOS does not help updating to this version might do the trick. Again, read the instructions on manufacturer's website and the motherboard manual before doing this and if in doubt ask.

What is the brand/model of the PSU? Why do you have a 950W PSU on this system?

Solution

nahort

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
yeah i have zero idea how to update the bios. i will try clearing the cmos but honestly other than knowing that there is a button for that i dont know how to do that either.

i believe i uninstalled the graphics manually but im not sure what ddu is.

the 950w psu was just because of a shellshocker on newegg that was going on when i built the computer.

the only graphics i have used since the last clean install of windows is the intel graphics but the system did at one time have a hd6950 in it with no problems.

Look ion your MB manual for the location of the jumper or button.

Unplug the PSU before you do it though.

As far as the bios update, go to the boards manufacture website and it will have directions.

DarkEvonik

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2012

DDU (Display Driver Unistaller) is an utility for removing completely GPU drivers. I would strongly reccomend using it, as it removes every config file leftover.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If you're not comfortable updating the BIOS maybe some could help you, a friend? Or the local PC store/outlet?

That system needs more or less half the wattage, to add some headroom and make future upgrades easier I'd say a 550-650W PSU is enough. You have way more than that which is not a problem. What is the PSU brand/model?

If that AMD card was before a clean install driver conflict is no issue here.

If there's a Clear CMOS button that makes things a lot easier.

Clear the CMOS with no GPU. Turn system off, press the button and it should do it's thing and reboot. Go into BIOS change from IGPU to Auto and save and exit. Then turn it off put GPU in and boot and see if it work.

If not after resetting CMOS change BIOS setting from IGPU to PCIE and save and exit and same drill.

Hope it works.

TRENDING THREADS